Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

36 hours in LA. I had another great meal at Kinjiro, will be forever grateful to Charlie Fu.

Dinner last night at The Cannibal was fantastic. The food and service were both outstanding. Amazing beer list and a very small focused winelist. We drank 2014 Sandlands Trousseau. The menu is diverse and has lots to eat for non-meat eaters. Jonathan Gold was sitting behind us and the place was packed. My guess is that it is going to be hard to get into in short order.

I heard good things about Cannibal, will have to check it out.

Kinjiro just got written up by the NYT for the 36 hours in LA article (what a coincidence!). Business has been even crazier after that. Considering Jun doesnā€™t want to do more than 2 turns a night, it just means more and more people get turned away.

Gotta do dinner next time youā€™re in LA robert!

Iā€™m sure itā€™s great , but based on the menu, just side veg, cheese and tuna tartare

1 Like

Ina Garten met her demise?

Eight veggie sides that are all like small plates, the best pretzel I have ever had, a couple of snacks plus cheese. I think a vegetarian could eat very well here.

Donā€™t get me wrong, I love your reviews.

But my vegetarian feels marginalized when all they have are side dishes.

She will go to those side dish places if she just wants a little to eat and itā€™s quick and easy. But if itā€™s a schlep she will stay home.

My version of 36 hours in LA

Another stellar lunch at Baroo. Such an exciting place.

And a wonderful meal at Yamakase. I wish Chef would reduce the overall quantity of the food just a bit as it is too much for me let alone my wife. Nonetheless it is a very special place and I canā€™t wait to go back.

Also we had an outstanding array of rare cheeses from DTLA Cheese in the Grand Central Market.

I agree that Yamakase is too much food. Iā€™m not quite as big of a fan as your are. I donā€™t mean this in a bad way, but it seems like high end japanese stoner food to me. Super indulgent with tons of uni, truffles, kani miso, etc. Oddly my favorite dish was a tomato and shrimp pasta that was perfectly executed. Its a fun place to visit, but I crave a different balance of flavors.

Iā€™m not a huge fan either, itā€™s just too much rich food. MORE TORO. MORE CRAB GUTS. MORE UNI. MORE TRUFFLES. MORE WAGYU. MORE FOIE.

gosh it must really be excessibe because that sounds wonderful to this gourmand.

Itā€™s a lot of very rich food having the same texture. I agree with Charlie. Except for the too much crab guts. No such thing as too much crab guts.

Iā€™d post that pic of me at Johan if the Photobucket would stop crashing.

IMG_8698.JPG
This one?

ha ha. Is that your phone background? Daily inspiration?

Donā€™t disagree with the too much rich. I would say this past meal it was less rich with some really delicious new lighter dishes including an amazing Eel dish.

i do love crab guts.

Elite in MPK does an awesome dish with the head/guts of a king crab. Basically a king crab head custard.

photocred: Andy Gavin.

That looks fantastic.

that reminds me of the Chawanmushi at Tei-An in Dallas. cold seafood custard in a Dungeness crab head.

need to put some love into this thread. Things I ate this past week or so.

Howlin Rays- hot fried chicken. Delicious. Sweet, spicy, vinegary deliciousness. Chicken sandwich is fantastic with just the right amount of sour in the cole slaw.

Lao Tao street food - newly opened slightly upscale take on traditional taiwanese food. Itā€™s taiwanese food but just with more care and better ingredients. Oyster pancake is about as authentic as it gets but with meaty briny oysters. Better than Pine and Crane which is really just taiwanese food for non taiwanese.

Egg slut - went again to see if I was wrong. Still ordinary. I think I figured out my issue with it, the bread just isnā€™t good. It has almost a dry staleness to it.

Youā€™re dead to me. :wink: