Eating and Drinking in Los Angeles

I liked Shibumi, qualitatively put it around the same level of enjoyment as Kinjiro (both a notch below Raku in LV, for reference).

Wow! I have now heard this from a few people so it appears Shibumi is quite polarizing.

the issue with shibumi to me is itā€™s neither comfort food nor really executed cuisine. I like kinjiro cause itā€™s comforting to me. Kinjiro is also half the price. The typical bill for wine peeps at Shibumi is $150+ at Kinjiro itā€™s $70-80

Both are about the same for me ~$120. Usually get similar things ā€“ something cold, like the uni & blue crab in jelly or the shrimp and lobster innards with some chips, then a vegetable, a broiled fish, and some beef and rice balls, but I also usually get sake/beer. Both places seem pretty attentive to ingredients. Maybe the only complaint with Shibumi was that the sea bream could have been a little fattier, but overall the flavors and textures were right on our visit. Iā€™d go back sooner than other mediocre overpriced French/Italian/etc places in DT, especially as Kinjiro isnā€™t a place I can walk into.

Breakfast at Destroyer was fantastic
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

that looks great! If I have one lunch near there, should I do that or Gjelina?

Youā€™ll be happy at either, but as a local Destroyer is new so my preference. Thereā€™s no alc. (though you could probably byob discreetly outside) and seating is somewhat limited if that helps to sway.

While itā€™s not LA, Lost at Sea in Pasadena has been a pretty solid place so far for the two times that Iā€™ve been there; their emphasis is on fresh ingredients with a simple but unique perspective. For example, a standout dish was their shishamo fries dish: the fish were coated with a very light tempura and quickly fried to the point where the fish was still visible but they were a real pleasure to eat.

Just happened to be in LA for opening day of Kismet. From what I understand it will have an all day menu from 10-3, snacks from 3-7 and then dinner. I was there for the all day menu and it was fantastic. The Lemony chicken was so good I ordered a second.

Dinner ideas on Abbot Kinney?

or really, anything walkable or short uber from Marina Del Rey that isnā€™t Scoppa.

Gjelina is a popular spot on Abbot Kinney.

What type of food/atmosphere?

Iā€™m really open to anything beyond Sichuan and Vietnamese which are my goals the other two nights. Under $200 and hopefully something I donā€™t see in Portland every day.

I wasnā€™t aware they did dinner

Gjelina, Gjusta, Rose Cafe, Baby Blues BBQ, The Tasting Kitchen, and (if you didnā€™t eat enough sausages in Germany), Wurstkuche. Unfortunately, Superba has become too variable to recommend.

thank you and due to that trip to Germany, Iā€™m now a crabeterian.

I love Hamakaze in West Culver City (13327 W Washington Blvd). Not far at all from MDR. Killer Izakaya, $15/cokage.

any love for Spring? Good meal there but they refused to give me cream for my coffee so I didnā€™t order it. Strange.

added to my list. Thank you!

maybe it was good coffee