Eating and Drinking in San Francisco

CELLARRRMAKKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

had some real fantastic stuff there last month

Not too hoppy Fu? I have heard it’s hophead central.

it is hoppy but they make balanced stuff. Not big, hoppy and out of control. Try it you’d enjoy it.

a BIG thank you to Robert, Jay, Paul, Charlie and all of the other contributors in this thread. I just returned from a long weekend in San Francisco. Kicked things off with dinner at The Progress, lively space, great service, and food to match; loved the cavatelli with artichoke and bone marrow and the octopus was strong also.
Lunch the next day was a porchetta sandwich from RoliRoti food truck, beers at Cellarmaker, and dinner that night at Piperade; a little old(er) school but very well executed food, squid appetizer was best in show that night. Lunch at Slanted Door, pasta Sunday night at the chef’s counter at SPQR. Good khao soi from Kin Khao for lunch on Monday and omakase at Akiko’s Monday night; righteous.

I’m full. just having fruit and an egg for lunch today

In town for a quick day at the end of a business trip.

Going to Perbacco tonight for dinner. Still need to nail down lunch.

Anyone local going to the West of the West wine event tonight ?

Just got back from 5 days in SF.

Cotogna - Agnolotti a bit salty but texture was spot on. Grilled lamb main was really nice.
Perbacco - Shared octopus main and 3 pastas. All very good.
Akiko’s - Went for lunch and had a great time. Competes well with some of the better spots in SoCal. Nice selection flown in from Japan.
Benu - Impressed for sure. Nice change of pace compared to the classic French 3*. Interesting flavors without feeling heavy. Did the beverage pairing and happy that we did. Sake, sour beer, Riesling, gruner, burg, etc. All of my favorite things.
Slated door - nice stop for lunch at the ferry building. Soup, fresh seafood, gruner, etc.
The Progress - Loved the way they put food together here. Interesting flavors and great texture. Hipster but nice wine list and good cocktails.
Trou Normand - Very nice cocktails and charcuterie. Didn’t eat dinner but the food coming out of the kitchen looked good.
Craftsman and Wolves for pastry and coffee was solid.

Fun trip

got Saison and Quince on deck for next weekend. S. Door for a lunch, probably. Stoked.

It was actually late 2015 but we had a wonderful meal at Acquerello. Has this place become passé with the locals?

I think the opposite. A beloved restaurant among locals. It has many regulars. Best Italian wine selection and service in the city. Still highly regarded by the local critics. Still fully booked most nights. But it’s white tablecloth, and it’s not cutting edge for the most part, so it’s not a destination for the younger set of food tourists (i.e. the kind of people who participate on Chowhound).

in SF for the night unexpectedly
where would you recommend for sushi (either last minute reservation or easy enough for walk-in party of 2)? was thinking ichi or ozumo. akiko’s looks booked

Kiss?

Ended up at ichi and was a little underwhelmed. Wok charred asparagus and ahi poke good, all rolls meh. Too heavy on rice and too light on fish. Uni was on point though.

don’t get fresh, young man!

Slanted Door was good but a half step down from past meals–grapefruit jicama salad lovely even if the grapefruit was a bit sour, filet in shaking beef not great, carmelized shrimp delicious. Hasn’t really innovated in years, same menu, but place was packed and has been since 1995, so . . .

Disappointed in Saison. Won’t say more.

But the revelation was Quince–warm and friendly ambience and service while remaining crisp and professional, outstanding progression of courses that delighted eyes, nose, palate, and brain–definitely hitting on all cylinders and a hugely positive memory. Loved it. Chapeau!

I had dinner at Khin Khao last time in town; best Thai meal ever (including those on my three trips to Thailand). The flavored that you normally only get in Thailand combined with the protein quality you find here. It has a well deserved Michelin star.

I’ve long been a fan of Quince. Been to Saison twice, once in the old location. Disappointed the second time so in interested in hearing more, Alan. My issue was the repetitiveness of Unami - never thought I could get too much Unami, but I did.

I like the subtle recommendation Alan! Chapeau! is another one of the few fantastic SF restaurants that has been around for awhile (around 20 years I think), in various iterations and locations. It’s out in the Inner Richmond (away from tourists and top rent areas) and definitely not on the yuppy “foody” circuit (they don’t even have a website!), but it is much loved by San Franciscans. I think it’s a really special place. Not innovative like Acquerello, but the long-time chef is a gem of a guy, and it’s one of the few higher-end places left in San Francisco that has fantastic service AND really good food. It’s my favorite non-experimental traditional-style French restaurant in the city (La Folie is still my favorite French restaurant in SF, but its a whole different thing at a whole different price level). One of my best friends (who grew up in San Francisco) goes to Chapeau! for his birthday every year. I’ve been 4-5 times, and every time I’ve loved it as a break from the industrial design, seasonal/farm-to-table, chef-driven places that (for the most part, justifiably in my opinion) get all the attention.

Get the Foie Gras.

Dined here on Tuesday night and really enjoyed it. We actually did the $55 prix fixe and enjoyed the variety and quantity of food, both of which were spot on.

I love the fact that Flannery Beef is one of the listed purveyors!!

We are potentially headed to San Francisco for a weekend in the fall. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for getting a reservation at State Bird?

Midnite on the intrawebz 30 days prior to anticipated dining is how we did it.