Effect of wine storage at 45 degrees?

How long have you been doing that? Have you ever compared the same wine from your 47 degree cellars and a 55 degree cellar, after some period of aging?

I used a temperature controller set to 52 deg F on a full size upright freezer in my parentsā€™ basement to store wine when I first started collecting. I filled it up, about 70 bottles, and it worked well for about 17 years without a problem or failure. Most of the wine was there for the full period. Because of the large thermal mass, the refrigerating unit barely cycled. Although I have since moved the wines and donā€™t use it anymore, the wines aged perfectly, and Iā€™m still drinking some of them.

What I am pretty sure about is that you wonā€™t have a lot of precipitation at 45Ā°F. In Tokaj, the temperatures at Oremus and Royal Tokaj and most of the others is a constant 10Ā°C, or 50 Ā°F. They have wines in there going back decades and the temps donā€™t really change at all, winter or summer.

Same in Eger, where some of the cellars at least feel even colder. In both places, theyā€™re dug into the mountainsides and are surrounded by hundreds of feet of rock.

The interior air temperature is conditioned by the temperature of the ground at the average depth of the wine cellar, and to some extent also the insulating value of the material protecting it from outside air. But if you have massive amounts of rock, like a mountain, the R value of the rock doesnā€™t matter so much.

The generally ā€œacceptedā€ temperature range is 7ā€“18 Ā°C (45ā€“64 Ā°F) mostly because the cellars in Europe are found in that range. The French didnā€™t dig caves into the mountains so much as build chateaux with stone walls, as did the English, and before refrigeration, those served for cold storage, but because they were not necessarily deep in the ground, they generally hit 55 Ā°F, some higher.

In Germany, the cellars Iā€™ve asked say that their temps are 10Ā°C, or 50 Ā°F.

Ben,
Sure, the very definition of precipitation is when a substance reaches its solubility threshold. I canā€™t comment through experience on what happens during fermentation; but in most cases, just cooling down a stable bottled wine should not result in any significant settling out of tannins. I refrigerate opened bottles all the time, and canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever seen that.

With shipping season upon us and the common experience of ā€œtoo much wine, not enough storageā€ I find myself overflowing from a couple wine fridges and an offsite (with many cases to come!)

So I have some cabinets in my air conditioned home where Iā€™m putting bottles (typically lower price point), and many of them will sit there a long time until I have space in the fridge to move them to. The temperature is 65-75 seasonally, and might get as high as 80 when we leave town.

My questions are: How long would you feel comfortable with that type of storage? and
Would you rather store your wines in a regular refrigerator at ~40-45*F ?

I believe this must be true. Over the years Iā€™ve had many opportunities to drink the same wine / same vintage from different sources/storage conditions. After a couple of decades the wines donā€™t just taste more or less advanced, they taste different ā€” different structures, balance, even subtly different flavors

1 Like

I can tell you that Iā€™ve stored wine in the regular fridge for years with no ill effects. Iā€™ve also stored wine accidentally at 75+ for a few years, which wasnā€™t a good plan. A couple wines were OK, most werenā€™t and in fact, they turned kind of brown.

While I wouldnā€™t pick 70+ for long term storage, if you figure that most retail shops are around 68-75 most of the time and if they donā€™t leave heat or AC on at night, the wines go through some temperature shifts. If youā€™re comfortable buying wine from a retail shop knowing that the wine may have been on the shelf for a year or two, then youā€™re going to be comfortable drinking your wine stored at those temps. Most wine is hardier than we think. OTOH, I have noticed shifts in wine stored at room temp for a year or so and those shifts werenā€™t nearly as pronounce in wine stored in my cellar. A few Zins for example, seem to have lost the bright fruit faster than those stored cooler, and a few bottles of Syrah seem to have lost a bit of spice. But in other cases, thereā€™s little difference.

My conclusions are that 1)it really depends on the wine and 2)the actual temps and their duration and 3)your palate. [cheers.gif]

Yeah, for many years, my refrigerator has been chilling LLC 1990, Montrose 1982, LLC 1994, Leoville Poyferre 1982, Pichon Baron 2003, La Jota 1994, Laurel Glen 1994, LMHB 1990, etc.
I am not worried, and have found no problems.