Eggland’s Best Eggs

An oeuf with the bad puns already

This thread is not all that it’s cracked up to be.

I disagree, but omelet your comment go.

He’s right, it’s a shell of its former self.

Really? A little birdie told me that chicks dig it.

I’m sure, but not some of the hard-boiled characters around here.

i’m disappointed because you all know that the quality of UK eggs has gone downhill since the Breggsit vote.

no politics! Or this thread will get scrambled.

White Power!!! White Power!!!

The yolk of oppression is always somewhere.

I agree. pileon
If the farm isn’t within 20 minutes of home I don’t buy the eggs. Besides, eggs aren’t supposed to come with brand names on the shells.

What do they do to them to make them stay fresher longer and who feeds their chickens meat?
8226FDA4-CA3F-427D-8A87-F603A9D27212.jpeg

I think there used to be byproducts blended in some commercial grade feed, that’s where mad cow disease was thought to come from. Idk about chicken feed. I get mine from a local guy too. No comparison.

You’d be shocked how many of us don’t live within 20 minutes of a chicken farm. But I did get a PhD in Molecular Chickenology.

According to their website:

“There are two main reasons for why Eggland’s Best eggs are proven to stay fresher than their competition. One is that Eggland’s Best eggs ‘are placed in refrigerated storage within 24 hours of being laid and are packed within seven days.’ This stands in stark contrast to the general minimal practices of the industry, which allows for eggs to remain in storage for as many as 21 days before packing. The other reason for Eggland’s Best eggs’ longevity is the fact that the hen feed used by the company has superior amounts of minerals and vitamins, which leads to greater egg shell strength.”

It’s worth noting that the “best by” date on eggs is based on the packing date, not the laying date.

“Eggland’s Best eggs are produced locally throughout the United States and are typically delivered to stores within 72 hours of laying, ensuring a farm-fresh taste in every single egg.”

When they say “proven”, they are citing this article from Penn State (brand A is Eggland’s Best):

“This independent retail egg quality study validates the results of the 2009 USDA survey by establishing that overall quality and characteristics indicative of freshness of brand A specialty eggs are higher and maintained longer when compared with generic eggs.”

As far as what many farmers feed their chickens, perhaps you would be happier if I didn’t answer that question. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

I buy from local farmers all summer, but other times of the year, I buy the freshest eggs available (including, GASP, Eggland - Bruce hasn’t given me a reason to stop). the “Best Buy” date is not required under federal law and does not reflect the packing date (but must be within 30 days after the packing date), there is a three digit number on the carton that indicates the cleaning/packing date (1=Jan 1, 365=December 31 (most years)), which usually occurs no longer than a couple of days after they’ve been laid.

As David wrote, these 3 digits represent the Julian date, with January 1st being “001” and December 31 being “365”. Whereas the “P” number identifies the packaging plant. The current day of the year can be determined here:

https://www.epochconverter.com/daynumbers

It’s a good thing to pay attention too. I was recently at Wegmans, which has been Consumer Reports’ #1 or #2 highest rated grocery store chain every year since 2006, and I was amazed to find eggs on the shelf that were 14, 24, and even 39 days post packaging date! The “best before” date did not perfectly reflect the actual age of the eggs (often off by a few days), so the packaging date is the most accurate way to determine this.

Why this particularly matters to me is that I like to do sous vide “poached” eggs, and the younger they are, the tighter the raw whites are, and the better the resulting poached eggs turns out. This is also a reason I like Eggland’s Best, because I can actually find Extra Large AA eggs. Grade AA eggs in general also have tighter whites, but they are pretty hard to find in most grocery stores.

I can’t believe that someone is still touting the benefits of industrial factory eggs, especially someone who cares about what they eat.

Thank you for your generous contribution.