Eisele Vineyard allocation letter

I was about to ask how this compares to Scarecrow, given it’s a $400 wine. And then I saw this post. The wine may be every bit as good, but certainly not the same cachet if it’s being sold at wholesale clubs.

For me unfortunately, I will probably drop this yearly purchase. I certainly adore the wine and have been drinking for years, but at least for now, I can back fill older vintages at half the cost, I’ll probably lean in that direction. Other than Spottswoode, it has long been my favorite Cali Cab, but I wish them well in the future.

“The Eisele Cab is from the block producing the most structured, longest lived wines. No new oak in those.”

I didn’t say any of their other wines don’t have new oak. Can’t speak to any of them. We tasted the '12-'15, where the '12 was a great blueberry milkshake and the other three were adult beverages. Huge contrast.

I imagine it was a very one off occurrence here in the DFW market when those hit the bins.

Wes,

Are they making just two wines, Altagracia and Eisele?? Or will there be various bottlings of the Eisele??

Those two Cabs, plus Syrah, SB, don’t recall if there’s anything else. All estate fruit.

What we saw was a snapshot in time. It was clear as day what they moved away from. I wouldn’t be surprised or bothered if they found some new oak that worked well. They’re a work in progress - attentive and experimental. They’d customized training regimes to the challenges of different blocks. (Saw some interesting stuff that seems to have been forgotten in the VSP era, contrary to what I learned from Davis and vineyard managers, but standard practice to people getting a healthy yield off of 150 year old vines.)

According to posts on the Costco thread, Screaming Eagle has shown up (very infrequently) in various Costco stores, and that hasn’t seemed to diminish its status at all.

Which is exactly why I refuse to buy SE. That, and no room to land my Gulfstream.

I just got my allocation letter yesterday and there was no mention of being offered Clos du Tart. I guess I haven’t been on the list long enough.

I haven’t tasted the Eisele, but the '16s I have tasted have been quite spectacular.

If they were only growing grapes, would you be on the list?

What is strange is the claim of one block being the sole source. If my math is correct, it takes at least 36 tons of grapes to make 1827 cases. If properly pruned, that is more than ten acres. One hell of a block.

I’m thinking you’re basing that on my wording, which was to distinguish between two subdivisions of a vineyard, rather than their wording, which the newsletter refers to “the parcels located on the Simmons Creek alluvial fan.”

Ok, so they are not claiming all of the grapes to have been from one block - but still, the “heart” of the vineyard is rarely more than ten acres in size!

Either way, if they can get $400/btl on 1,827 cases, they are doing just fine… good for them.

All the Bordeaux First Growths are at my local Costco… [oops.gif]

Don’t know whether I finally made the cut or if it’s the first year Eisele is offering it, but I was offered 2020 Domaine d’Eugenie today. 1 each of Ech, Grand Ech and Clos Vougeot. $1180. Evidently 100 3-packs available. I was allocated one with ability to wishlist more.

Like Wes said, these wines are the real deal. No gimmicks, just spectacular fruit and dedicated, hands-on winemaking.

Without sharing specifics - yes, the oak program changed dramatically between 2012 and 2013. There is new wood. Or at least there was on the 2013 and 2014.
Yes, the top wine only comes from the coeur or heart blocks.
If you have a budget for wines in this price range, don’t pass on Eisele. Altagracia is really lovely too and reasonably priced, in context.

1 Like

A three pack of D Eugenie is $1180??
I wish I had more Engel wines left in my cellar.

Re their oak program: I believe they bought more of the barrels I once sold and fewer of others. Naturally the oak profile is much better.

For the so called “grand cru 3 pack,” yes.