Eurocave vs La Cache vs ???

Thanks j. Durham. I’ve wanted to know other ppl experience temp experience with the le cache. I have also seen that the cooler is set to 56 but is consistently 60 on the bottom racks. I’ll check the eurocave but it seems constant at 55 to 57

The filter in my Eurocaves can be removed, emptied and refilled with activated charcoal easily ! You don’t need to buy replacements .

I purchased the large cardboard tubes for one side of my LeCache, and the smaller cardboard tubes for my other side. I purchased them from the wine storage facility I use here in Los Angeles area. The large cardboard tubes fit magnum bottles, but I’m not sure if they fit magnums of Champagne. I don’t have any Champagne magnums, so I’ve never tried.

My only gripe. Love my Le Cache, but the fat bubbly bottles are a gaint pain. Can only lay them up top.

I try and source Krug boxes for loose bottles or just get ghetto and cut small pieces of egg crate foam and lay them by the neck. Seems to work fine, but definitely annoying.

Thank you David. Cheers.

Which Le cache models are you using the tubes on? I tried getting 24 and they weren’t even close to fitting.

Yeah the link to 24” tubes was misleading, sorry. I did say the 24” tubes might fit and you need to measure. You’re right, they won’t come close.

Looking back, it was the 4" x 20” tubes that looked like they would be a close fit, and that is actually what I ended up using. They just barely fit Krug & Comtes bottles with some touching but not too snug, and they fit the Le Cache well. Found them here after looking a bit more carefully.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081GK0AK

I’m guessing the 4” tubes won’t fit champagne mags.

No, mags won’t fit in the 4" tubes.

I have a LeCache Vault 3100. The tubes for bulk storage increased the ease of getting to bottles more than anything. Probably increased my capacity by a few bottles as well. I will be buying the tubes that David has recommended, because the ones I have are 4”x23” deep. They won’t fit Krug or CDC bottles, so I assume they have a little thicker walls than what David purchased from Amazon

This looks like a wonderful opportunity for someone to market cardboard tubes for $199. In a variety of champagne and magnum configurations even.

Have you had any issues with the cardboard tube getting soft or breaking down with the humidity over time?

Right now, I have cardboard tubes that are pretty thick walled. Haven’t had any issues at all with humidity. My offsite storage facility sells them and rents to customers, and I use them in my locker as well without any issues for many years. Not sure about the ones from Amazon that I just purchased. Will find out.

No signs of deterioration so far but it’s only been 10 months. If they start to soften up I will replace them. The convenience and increased stability for stacking Champagne bottles above the top row would be worth the recurring cost.

I’ve not seen any collapse or distortion of empty tubes in a lower row with full tubes on top of them. It seems the lateral support from adjacent tubes (empty or full) is sufficient, so I haven’t felt a need to rearrange after pulling bottles from the lower rows.

I also bought some 3” x 20” tubes for 375s. They fit inside the Le Cache racking and keep the skinnier bottles from falling through. Getting to the back bottle of a double-deep slot requires pulling the tube out since my hand won’t fit inside, but it’s not a big deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT2YX3I

David, the tubes from Amazon that you purchased must be pretty thin walled correct? I don’t really care about that as long as they fit Krug bottles. The ones I have currently are also 4” in diameter but won’t fit the larger champagne bottles. I purchased the ones you suggested.

Dennis, yes, they are fairly thin walled. I took a picture.

9CB3740D-5FA6-4B23-9FA0-F4155F40A78D.jpeg

The bottom row is a bit squished and there’s a little force required to pull the bottles out but not enough to chafe the labels. It’s a close enough fit that I imagine that any lot to lot variation could be enough to be problematic. So it could be a waste of $35. I hope they work for you as well as they do for me.

My Le cache is a disaster of magnums and other champagne bottles stacked in a mess. I kind of want to get a eurocave just for champagne in the downstairs bar because I think it’s be harder to make champagne specific racking in the cellar; right now all the champagne is just in boxes in the cellar.

Mags are a problem. A Eurocave with shelves sounds like the right solution for that, absent space to build a walk-in cellar with custom racking.

David, I purchased the tubes you suggested and replaced them with what I currently have for bulk storage in my LeCache. They turned out great. Now I’m able to fit my Krug and other larger champagne bottles. Thanks for your help.