European Cheese

Tartiflette is seriously delicious.

That pic was from their retail shop in the 16th. They have another in the 8th that is a bit closer for me now, and I believe two or three more across Paris.

And as you enjoy your Tartiflette, you can contemplate whether it really is or is not a traditional recipe :slight_smile:

The common story in France (at least as told to me by French guys) is that it was invented in the 1980s as a way to sell Reblochon, and it appears that such a promotion did take place. However the dish may have existed long before in some form as the name dates from hundreds of years ago, and even if not it’s very closely related to another dish called Péla which I believe is made with sautéed potatoes rather than boiled. I’ve been to restaurants in Grenoble that serve both and they are very close to the same dish, at least as interpreted there.

Whatever the truth, it’s very hard to go wrong with melted cheese, potatoes, and bacon.

I thought I recognized that shop…my wife was on a project in La Défense this summer and was staying just a couple of blocks from that shop which became almost a second home champagne.gif

You are correct Mr. Gleason…started by the Interprofessional Syndicat of Reblochon and the name is derived from the savoyard patois word for potato…tartiflâ. The best reblochon will have a green stamp which signifies that it was made on the farm (completely edible).

Then they started a whole campaign (early 2000s) in the ski resorts with t-shirts and bumper stickers “In Tartiflette We Trust”

Reminds me of the first time I had real (and really ripe) Camembert. I was still in College, spending a year in Europe. Went to visit my cousin in Paris who had married a Frenchman. They served Camembert after the meal, really good but incredibly stinky. However, my uncles had a chicken farm and I often worked there when I was younger, so the ammonia odor was very familiar (and oddly not off-putting).

You’re in the 16th? Not far from Rue Poncelet, a street market, with Alleosse, one of the finest affineur in town. Look for 48 month Comte, it’s insane!

Also, too bad you don’t like Epoisses, or I’d tell you to ask for the only unpasteurized one out there (the other producers have all gone pretty much all pasteurized) from la Ferme des Maronniers. Difficult to find, but when you do and it’s on, it’s ON…!

Gaugry in Gevrey (Brochon) continues to make two versions of epoisses, one raw. When I took a tour in 2001 of the plant…the Gaugrys said they’d never make a non-raw-milk version. I guess they changed their minds. Frankly, having had a load of Gaugry raw milk this summer, I’m not convinced it’s all that different.

Might have to check it out this weekend. Am in the 8th for a couple of months now that we’re moved, moving to the 16th… and Alleosse looks like a 15-20 min walk. Will have to check it out after seeing the pics online. Definitely enjoying the “every day is an adventure” state of mind here.

@ATaylor - couple of hotels in that area; I stayed in the Le Metropolitan and Le Dokhan’s, each for a couple of weeks. Great locations, both in walking distance :smiley: Right now, the biggest find for us is http://www.auxmerveilleux.com We make an AM run for their sugar/brioche bread on Sundays and then get the big cakes for special occasions. Of course, “Tuesday” is a special occasion when I want one of those things, so ahhh yeah.

Claousou du Causse Mejean - think Mont D’Or, but with sheep’s milk instead of cow’s. Creamier and a little more funk.

Here’s a pretty good write-up on it. Worth a shot if you like the Mont D’Or style. https://www.lafromagerie.co.uk/claousou
clauosou.jpg

I’ve got the names somewhere else… Blue donut chevre should be interesting :smiley:
WP_20161203_18_34_11_Rich.jpg

andrew- just picked up some sbrinz. from switzerland, only 27 dairies make it. like super rich parmesan, omg. go get some!

Day in, day out… Androuet has been the best, hands down. The Roquefort, whether Papillon or Carles, is so amazingly fresh and creamy that it’s mind-blowing. I’m enjoying a wedge from them now and it’s nothing short of mind-blowing. I’ve yet to buy clumpy Roquefort from them, even for the crust/foil portion.

Other place of note - Fromagerie Quatrehomme I’ve dropped in here a couple of times, but at one of the satellite shops in Issy (near my office) and not at the main one. Looking forward to a visit to the mothership and would rank it about the St Louis shop I dropped in on this past weekend.

I used to rent a place near Quatre Hommes, that’s an insanely good one too.

Interesting note - the café at work now has a “featured cheeses” window. Had a wedge of perail today for .90 euros :smiley: I generally don’t think there will be much that is “post-worthy” here, but had to mention at least once, given it just feels ridiculous. If they open a Rhone window, I’m never coming home.

Per the cheese itself, I’ve enjoyed perail several times (starting with Andruet) and the hockey puck size makes it fairly easy to consume in one sitting. Also enjoy the sheep’s milk flavor, which is a bit more intense than similar-style cheeses.

https://www.lafromagerie.co.uk/perail/ as an example.

FWIW - the blue donut is called “couronne de Touraine.” Have to get past the blue-colored rind, but man these are great.

Couple of notes on it →

Posting, as the authors note you can find it in the US.

Close-up, with some aged mimolette below.
WP_20170113_18_10_29_Rich_LI.jpg

I had an outstanding English washed-rind cheese last week in London: Finn from Neals Yard Creamery. The one I had was wonderfully ripe and incredibly flavorful.

Tomme de Savoie
IMG_0010.JPG

Not mentioned yet, if you like a very creamy cheese, then look out for Vignotte

About 5 of us killed off a quarter wheel of Stichelton a friend brought back from Neal’s Yard a few weeks ago that was terrific, particularly with a Ramos Pinto 20 Year Tawny.