Excessive Shipping Charge

Thanks, Obama.

I can beat that one. I had one 375ml bottle at PC, and also in panic mode, had it shipped out all by itself. I told Whitney that I was driving down (5 hours round trip) to my shipping agent to pick up a bunch of other wine from mailers (Bedrock, etc), and so I wanted to get everything at once. He promised that they would have it arrive in time. So they charged me $18.00 for shipping a half bottle from California to Washington state, and of course when I get down to my shipping agent, they are the only one whose wine hadn’t arrived. The bottle eventually did arrive, but I had to burn half a day and a bunch of gas, driving down for one half bottle.

Nope. Fair price.

Unless the 375 was d’Yquem you win!

I have always thought that either some wineries are gouging on shipping cost OR others are eating some of the shipping if you can assume that no portion of the shipping cost is built into the bottle price. This is solely based on how wide the range is for shipping per bottle when you are less than 6 btls total ($4 btl on the low range and $12-15 btl on the high range). This is me shipping from N. Cali to Ohio.

Last I looked at a winery’s out-of-CA shipping rates it went something like: 1 btl $20, 2 btl $22, 3 $24 …

I wonder if that’s a valid assumption or if it varies from winery to winery. If you buy from Maison Ilan it can vary from week to week.

Have you perused the Maison Ilan thread? :astonished:

Since pedantry doesn’t bother you, there isn’t a hyphen in “misspelling.” neener

Pricing for smaller quantities is not linear in relation to what a case costs. There is a minimum for the driver just touching it. Depending on if the winery is doing their own fulfillment, box and packaging (+ labor) could be higher than a fulfillment house. For me, 2 bottles from Santa Rosa fulfilled through our agent is about $17.00.

Thank you and happy to be of service. There is no such thing as excessibe pedantry. [cheers.gif]

David, you and I are the ballas of excessibe pedantry.

no need to boast [wink.gif]

I’d call it on the high end of reasonable.