Favorite inexpensive Rye?

Thanks for the reminder about Old Forester. That’s another good one.

That was only in reference to wasting money on Old Overholt 86…Canadian is almost as spicy.

Rittenhouse or knob creek. My buddy inadvertently made manhattans with handy once which was great but I wouldn’t recommend it.

You’re welcome.

Good choice on the Canadian, the Crown northern harvest rye is great for little $$

Wiser’s is cheap too.

Yet another vote for Rittenhouse… but unless you’re drinking a bunch of rye cocktails, I’d upscale it and go with the Willett 4 yr (~$66 OTD with our nonsense taxes). Using Death & Co’s 2 oz rye, .75 vermouth (they use .5 Punt e Mes, .5 Dolin, but I usually Carpano Antica).

Here’s my logic - 25.4 oz in a bottle, so effectively 12 manhattans (2 x 1 oz). That’s $5.5 of rye, mixed with $1 worth of Carpano Antica (Costco for the win) and $.50 cherry/bitters.

$7 for a top shelf cocktail at home? Buddy, you’re worth the extra $2 a glass :smiley: #winning

1 Like

Speaking of Willet 4 year, is there going to be a five.I have 2,3 and 4.I think I picked up the 4 at least 2-3 years ago, pretty special stuff neat.

Also re: Willet 4, Andrew is shopping at a better place than I. My last bottle was about $80 otd.

Of those you listed, to sip, I prefer Sazerac and it makes a good (you guessed it) Sazerac cocktail. There is a new Rye out from Old Forester that is a decent sipper, and at 100 proof should make a good cocktail, too. Best of all, it’s $22-25.

Will keep an eye open for you. Hope all is well!

All is well. Definitely don’t need more Willet 4, but thank you. I have two unopened bottles. But I’ve been enjoying an opened bottle Michters Rye quite a bit lately. And while not as cheap as Rittenhouse, it’s better and not bank breaking. I think I got it for $40.

That Michters is really good.Funny story , I took a bottle of this to Sitka this Summer,
All my fishing buddies are Vodka drinkers, after an especially wet and cold day, though the fishing was great,back at the house after showers we were still shivering.
I went to the kitchen and brought back the Michters. Poured the 3 of us a couple fingers.A couple sips and they were hooked, finished the bottle that night.My buddys
wife goes into town the next day in search of more, we are about 10 miles out in the Pacific and she calls, it’s $80 a bottle my buddy says buy all they have.Long story short we drank Sitka out of Michters Rye over the next couple weeks.Have since bought a case for Christmas presents [wow.gif]
O

And the Toasted Barrel Rye is even better!

Great story! I know it’s not the rye or even the standard Bourbon, but on the show “Billions,” Bobby Axelrod is frequently pouring something from Michters.

Piling on, Rittenhouse & Sazerac are the champs here. I prefer Rittenhouse for my Manhattans, Saz for Old Fashioned but they are interchangeable at my house. I do like Michters but the price point is almost 2x.

At my local Costco today Sazerac $32 OTD, bought a 6 pack.Good buy even with Wa.
excessive liquor tax.

With no restaurants we have built up a little glut…nice find.

You da man! Still haven’t seen 4R LE , I think Bobs might have some coming up, maybe I’ll get lucky.Struck out on the auction, but happy to support a great cause.

We only got 144 bottles for all of WA.