Favorite Instant Pot recipes?

Made the red wine braised short ribs last night - came out beautiful. Only issue is that the liquid really doesn’t evaporate much! We love extra sauce on the braised short ribs, so I upped the liquid a bit. Well, nearly all the liquid was still there, so I was madly trying to reduce the liquid afterward.

Now I know!

Yeah. That’s the one issue with pressure cookers. Gotta do some saute mode after

See this is where you hire the saucier. I could correct that in 15-20min max. For very little bordeaux.

There’s really no need to soak beans before cooking. It’s one of the many reasons I love the IP. Melissa Clark’s new cookbook is pretty good. There are also some fabulous IP groups on Facebook. The Instant Pot for Indian Cooking Group is fabulous. Along with recipes, they discuss a lot of techniques there.

Ha! You didn’t see how much liquid it was!!!

A black-eyed pea, sausage, and collard stew on New Years day was great.

1 lb. dried peas, soaked overnight and drained
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced and fried, fat drained off (I used Conecuh brand http://www.conecuhsausage.com/ProdDetail.aspx?pid=50 )
1 lb. collards, large stems removes, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 shallots, rough chopped
6 c. water

Put all ingredients in pot, stir, set on ‘Simmer,’ walk away (I think simmered a total of 3.5 hours)

NOTE: Do not use ‘quick soak’ method for peas or they will be mushy

This looks fantastic!

Not a lot of recipes here [wow.gif]

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Any favorites models? I am planning on going with an 8Qt.

Jason

I went with the original, Instant Pot - highly recommended. Build quality is fantastic, super easy to use (lock/unlock, steam valve, cleaning)

Here’s one recipe I tried with great success - creamy polenta:

Thanks. What size did you get?

J

6 qt. My sister got me a 10 quart for Christmas (not Instant Pot brand) and it was FAR too large for our family of 4.

Hmmm. Okay … maybe I should go with the 6 Qt, if that is working for you guys.

J

Well, you’d have to get close to the top (as close as you can, given the instructions on filling levels) to have enough for a meal AND freezing, I found out. Made white chicken chili the first day and it was crushed - only one small serving remained. If you guys eat leftovers or freeze meals, 8qt is probably solid. 10 is just huge.

I forgot one thing, Don: Serve with pepper sauce.

Bon appetit, y’all!

Hi Jason,

If you think you will be using the IP for stock (for which it’s fabulous) or if you make big batches of anything, I’d go for the 8qt. You can make smaller amounts in the 8, but 6 can be limiting. I started with the 6 and now have the 8 too.

Hi Bob!

I made a very close version of this for New Years Day too. I used a smoked ham shank instead of the sausage and sweet onions instead of shallots. I didn’t soak. I just put everything in and put it on high pressure for 35 minutes. It was delicious and devoured quickly.

One of my favorites lately, I’ve only made it in a le creuset but should work just as well in the IP. So ridiculously simple, the only prep is chopping an onion and the meat (or just be lazy and buy pre-cubed stew meat).

1.5-2 lbs cubed lamb stew meat
1 onion diced
2/3 cup white wine
1 cup stock or water(maybe less for the IP)
1 bag (10oz) frozen peas

The instructions should nearly be obvious at this point. Saute lamb to get some Browning on some of the sides (as Kenji points out, you really don’t need to worry about browning all of it), add onion and cook til soft, add wine and reduce a bit, add stock and peas. At this point I usually do in my le creuset in oven for about 1.5 hours, but I imagine about 25 minutes in the IP should suffice. I don’t know how this recipe turns out so good, but it does. Adding cubed potatoes (probably after the pressure cook portion, just simmer until cooked) is an option too.

Inaugural dish last night in my new 6qt. Crock Pot brand one. Chili (no beans type)! Had the same issue as Todd: too liquidy at the end.

Cubed a 2 pound Top Round (London Broil) into very small pieces. Seasoned with S&P while the Sauté function heated up. Browned the meat well; it released a lot of liquid so I kept browning until some of it evaporated. Added chopped onion, garlic & red bell pepper along with cumin, dried oregano & chili powder. Sautéed a bit longer until veggies softened and spices incorporated. Then a small can of Trader Joe’s diced green chilies, 1.5 cups of broth blended with a bit of fish sauce for umami, 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and a small can of crushed tomatoes before closing the lid. Pressured on High for 22 minutes. Allowed for slow release.

When I saw how soupy it was, sautéed for a bit longer to try to evaporate some of the liquid. Flavors were awesome and I’m very happy with the machine itself. Just need to grasp the learning curve.

This recipe is fantastic - Instant Pot Turkey Quinoa Chili · Seasonal Cravings

I’m going to add frozen corn next time, however

Adjusting to the liquid issue takes a little trial and error. You can reduce the liquid with the Sauté function before or after cooking it.

I always reduce my stock by at least ½ before freezing it for use. More likely, I reduce it 4X, slice the gelled stock into cubes before freezing. In a pinch, I’ll reduce the amount called for in a recipe if I think it’s too much and add a spoonful of Better Than Boulllion.