Favorite QPR wine under $25

Grange Tiphaine Ad Libitum
Theo Minges halbtrocken 1L
Chateau Beaumont
Rovellotti Colline Novaresi
Connivence blanc

Thivin Cote de Brouilly is always on my QPR list when I post, and was my first thought when I saw this thread, but my local guy now has it for $40. Seems like it jumped $10 in one year, and $15 in just a few. So I google it as a result of this thread, and other retailers in the NE have it for around $25. Have no clue why my local guy’s price has escalated. But at $25, this is singularly the best red QPR on the planet IMHO. Year after year. Once in a while, like I just did with a 2017 release, you can get Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive for $25 or less, and the base domaine is $25 or less. Both are also fantastic QPRs.

In the U.S., hard to beat that Bedrock OV Zin. Really one of the other best QPRs made, year after year. It’s a fantastic little, food-friendly wine that I love to pop with grilled burgers, pizza, pastas.

If you like classic, lean Loire Cabernet Franc, hard to beat Domaine Guion Cuvee Prestige, which is way south of $25. Just had a 2014 that was smokin.

And finally, any of the Chiantis by Felsina. Gulpable and age-worthy.

The OP’s wine was a gewurz. I really like Cantina Terlan’s gewurz which can be had for ~$25. For ~$20, Black Slate is pretty consistent. I always look for the Porrera version. Many other Spanish garnachas fall into the at range also.

If you want to go sub $10, Trader Joe’s has you covered. Lazy Bones cab franc and Honeymoon viognier are decent everyday drinkers.

De Negoce #1
De Negoce #2
De Negoce #3
De Negoce #4
De Negoce #5
De Negoce #6
De Negoce #7
De Negoce #8
De Negoce #9
De Negoce #10
De Negoce #11
De Negoce #12
De Negoce #13
De Negoce #14
De Negoce #15

Ok I think you get the picture.

(In all seriousness, Loring Sta Rita Hills for $24.99 if you pre-order it from them for fall delivery, can still do it this week!)

Badenhorst Secauters Chenin Blanc ~$15 every year.

Thank you for the rec Sarah. Purchased some 2016 Campi Raudii based on your recommendation in another recent thread. Very happy with this wine and it was about $16. Wild at first, in a way I enjoy but don’t traditionally associate with nebbiolo. Over the course of a few hours it became classic nebbiolo. Excellent and a great value.

I regularly drink way too many wines in this price category to pick a favorite. Three years ago I’d have said Gonon IdF hands down, but that ship has sailed. Strong contenders still under that price point, and some well below, include:

• Pepiere: Briords and Thebaud;
  • Occhipinti SP68;
  • Gufli: Cerasuolo, Nerojbleo;
  • Vajra: Nebbiolo, Rosso;
  • LdH Cubillo (in strong vintages);
  • Cameron WV Pinot;
  • Guion Prestige.

Oh I am so glad to hear you liked it! I haven’t had the 2016 yet, though I bought some. The 2006 is drinking beautifully right now. Interesting that the 2016 showed a bit wild at first. In my experience it’s been pretty classic, as you said it became. I’ve never had one that young, though.

Added: if you need proof it is ageworthy, I’ve had Vallana Campi Raudii back to at least 1955 with great success. I’m sure it’s made a little differently now, but the pedigree and dedication is there for sure.

You may think you’re a broken record on this producer, but its the first I’m hearing of them- so thanks! This is a bit unusual, so just want to clarify your perspective: their ~$15 wine is as good or better than their $25+ wines?

As for my contributions to the thread:

Thivin
Tardive
Produttori Langhe
Monsanto Chianti
Scherrer OMV (as futures)
Bodegas Muga
Triennes Rosé

“Better” is hard to say, because they are different and so a lot depends on what characteristics you value most, but I would definitely say they are on par in quality. And, for my palate (and my husband’s FWIW), I think the Campi Raudii can outshine the more expensive wines, especially when tasted side by side. Note that I buy them all. The Boca is probably the most intense and stacked. The Gattinara is more rustic and textured. The Campi Raudii is, to me, the most classy, elegant and classic nebbiolo. I don’t know exactly why they are priced the way they are, but since none of them are expensive, I’d say buy a bottle of each you can find and see what you like best.

Most of these are only about $15, but these are a variety of my go to under $25 bottles.

France
Domaine de l’Amandine Cotes du Rhone Villages Seguret (syrah, grenache)
Domaine de la Combe Dieu Rasteau (gsm)
Domaine Lafage Bastide Miraflors Vieilles Vignes (syrah, grenache)
Domaine du Grand Montmirail Gigondas le Coteau de Mon Reve (gsm)
Clos du Roy (Merlot)

Italy
Tenuta di Nozzole Chianti Classico Riserva Nozzole
Cosimo Taurino Salice Salentino Riserva (negroamaro)

Spain
Luna Beberide Art (mencia)
Los Frailes 1771 (monastrell)
Diez-Caballero Crianza (tempranillo)
Marques de Riscal Reserva (tempranillo, graciano)

Portugal
Quinta do Vallado Touriga Nacional

I really enjoyed the 2018 Vallado. The 2017 showed a lot of the heat from the vintage.

I haven’t actually tried any of my 2017s yet. loved the 16. is the 2018 out in the US yet?

I’ve had it here in Portugal, so sadly I wouldn’t know. I’ve found that in markets like the US and Australia there are quite a few domestic wines from back vintages which I’d love to get my hands on and can’t find here, though. Might have to do with businesses not clearing stock and letting things linger.

It is terrifying how underappreciated Portuguese wine is here in the US. Besides the big ports at least.

I discovered this site about a year ago and could not be more grateful! Early on one of my discoveries was Bedrock OVZ and I’m good for at least a case a year as well as being active on their mailing list.

Thanks for the multiple heads up on the Bedrock OVZ.

I couldn’t find it for less than $24 (K&L) though.

Try Costco

And join the mailing list for future!