Favorite Riesling from USA ?

Small production, but Union Sacre makes a great one from Happy Canyon, iirc. Also have a really good skin contact Alsatian style Gewürztraminer.

I’ll second both of these.

VM

Hey, good to know. I didn’t mean to exclude any particular place and I have an open mind (plenty of empty spaces!). BTW, last month I tasted some very enjoyable wines made in a very unexpected place - Saltwater Farms, Mystic, CT. Thanks for the MI tips.

This just happened pretty recently.

“On Friday, October 19 the most prestigious award at the 19th Annual Canberra International Riesling Challenge (CIRC)—Best Wine of the 2018 Challenge—was given to the Black Star Farms 2017 Arcturos Dry Riesling. This is only the second time in CIRC’s 19-year history that an American wine has come out on top.”

Nice placement, will look out for them. Thanks Kyle and Scott!

Love Navarro, one of the most underrated white wine producers around. The Guwerzt is really nice as well. Great QPRs.

I’ve sent a bottle to Tom Hill for review.

Brooks and Trisateum from Oregon.

Thanks to the OP and all contributors to this thread. This type of information and experience sharing is what makes this place great.

Yes, they certainly are, Jay. I think their regular bottling is decent too. Another vote for Wiemer, solid wines every year. forgot about Smith Madrone, it’s been a long time but I remember being favourably impressed. Savage Grace is good, though not extra-good (mind, I’ve only had it once)

A bit off-topic, but in Oregon, if you can ever get your hands on the rare-as-hen’s-teeth Coury Old Vines Semillon, that stuff is excellent.

I enjoy all Stony Hill’s white wines.

And the Brooks recommendations above are spot on. I’m a particular fan of their delightfully fun Bois Joli.
Their drier versions depend on how much of a trocken fan you are.

Surprised to not see Bellwether mentioned yet. Wild wines, really unique approach and really high quality.

California stand out by a mile is Stony Hill.

A local shop said they had a bottle on their site but went to the store and they could not locate it. Really wanted to try it!

Agree with these, and would add White Pine and Verterra from Michigan as well. Some great Rieslings coming out of the state.

Belle Pente (OR) makes a very nice Riesling. I just searched on W-S pro and there is a shop in Oregon that has some of the 2008 for $15. They ship to FL, Jim.

Haven’t tried anything from Verterra yet but agree with White Pine. I just stopped into their tasting room last week and was talking to Dave Miller. Wanted to see if he had any interest in buying a half ton of Pinot Noir from my vineyard next year.

VM

Ian, wanting to try them. How do you compare them against Ravines and HJW, style wise?

Dr. Dave is a great winemaker. I really enjoy his style… Let me know if he buys your grapes, I’d be interested in tasting the result :smiley:

As for Verterra, definitely worth stopping in. Some of the best Riesling on Leelenau IMO. Forgot to mention Bowers Harbor earlier, probably the most classic expression of Old Mission. I think they’ve set the precedent.

I actually cited them on the previous page as one of the best. More dry and citrus driven than HJW but more exotic and fruit driven than Ravines. He also makes a TBA-style wine that is nuts.