Favorite Short Rib Recipe?

Robert, please do post here, I’m always interested in different recipes. I hope what I wrote wasn’t taken in any negative way.

The short ribs in Keller’s Ad Hoc at Home are pretty awesome, but also take a while…Somebody reproduced it here: http://mondodinner.com/2011/08/braised-beef-short-ribs-recipe-by-thomas-keller/

Robert W, please reconsider, I like Alan is always looking for new recipes… or at least please PM the recipe…

Thanks in advance

I’ve never seen anyone ragged on posting a recipe here. [scratch.gif]

I’m doing my first sous vide short ribs now. I sweated some onions and carrots with thyme then added a bottle of wine and reduced it. I put it through a chinoise and froze the liquid into cubes. I put two cubes in each bag with a boneless short rib trimmed and cut in half. In two days I plan to thicken the juice from the bags and deep fry the ribs to get a nice crust.

This is my first foray into sous vide short ribs. I’m looking forward to tasting these…

i’ve made most on this thread and have to say I really love these (The Bitten Word: Braised Hoisin Beer Short Ribs with Rosemary White-Bean Purée) as much as any. I didn’t know they would pair well with red because of the glaze, but they do.

With a relatively short cook time, do you use boneless ribs? I’m looking forward to trying this recipe.

I used boneless costco short ribs last time and they were wonderful.

Agreed on the Costco ribs. I don’t find a significant difference from having the bone and Costco meats tend to be better than my local grocer.

I also normally use the Costco ribs. The one thing you lack when you go boneless is gelatin and the texture that comes with it. America’s Test Kitchen adds some gelatin to make up for this in their recipe.

BTW – I just did some ribs Sous Vide for 48 hours and I’ve got to say I don’t like the method as much as braising. I really don’t like what long SV cook times do to the flavor of the meat.

The boneless Costco short ribs make a wonderful ground beef for hamburger when mixed 1:1 with Prime Sirloin.

I do straight ribs and add in about 20% fat for my home ground beef. I love the flavor.

This is exactly what I use for my burger mix. I’m not sure I’ve ever used their boneless short ribs for anything else.

You guys really grind up prime beef? Lemme guess, you also deglaze with '61 Cheval Blanc too. [snort.gif]

I just noticed that reference to prime sirloin. I just buy the choice ribs and sirloin for mine, and I’m not sure I could discern between choice and prime with that much short rib mixed in.

Back to the OP’s original question: My go-to has always been Colicchio’s method from “Think Like a Chef”, with Keller’s parchment lid trick. It differs from the other Colicchio recipe mentioned here in that he doesn’t call for the marinade. I’m definitely going to give the coffe and ancho recipe that Bob posted a shot.

No. I let Flannery do it for me! [cheers.gif]

Please post your feedback when you do. That recipe look really interesting.

Thanks again Bob.

Which makes even less sense to me. Take an awesome cut of beef, grind it up, let it sit around and then cook it. [berserker.gif]

Ditto, my go to source. I do have to say that the one time I bought short ribs (boneless) from Bryan Flannery, they were out of this world, a definite step up from what Costco sells.