Favorite way to cook/eat wagyu?

Wagyu and uni Jesus Sarah that’s a dish from heaven! [swoon.gif]

1 Like

Struggling with this one myself, as I’ve got a couple of 20 oz A5 BMS 11 steaks coming this week. I love to grill everything, but I’m thinking these things will turn into fireballs on the kamado.

I could sear on a skillet, but kinda feels like I have to grill… at least it’s not sous vide? :smiley:

Thanks, Scott! Shiso wrapped inside gave it the necessary list, and a little yuzu salt, IIRC. Usually I prefer wagyu with the fat fully activated, so around medium rare, like in my picture with the ponzu sauce, so I was skeptical about this prep with only a bit of torching on the outside. I should never have doubted Chef Jonathan. :slight_smile:

I had a pound of Waygu ground beef that I got from Morgan Ranch on Berserkerday and part of an assortment. I always thought it was silly because once you grind it, what difference does marbling make. However, I must admit that the flavor of the exterior char (using a Weber gas grill) was about the best I have ever had.

I’ve had a steady supply of Miyazaki A5 for the past few years plus (any cut I want as the importer/distributor is a friend/client who brings in whole carcasses monthly); so I may have a very different point of view. That said, my current favourite use of Miyazaki A5 sirloin is in sukiyaki - cooked in the broth just so it’s no longer red, absolutely wonderful.

1 Like

I have an A5 Wagyu New York Strip Roast for Christmas planned… have no idea if I just want to treat it as a whole roast or not.

Agree that at least full warmed through makes the eating experience a bit nicer and medium rare is great. I’m wondering if shaving truffle on the warm beef would also be a good way to aromatize the truffle.

Yeah the fat texture is on a different level. Even ground up it’s juicy AF.

beautiful!

I’m thinking about smoking the ny wagyu roast… thoughts?

Honestly doesn’t seem to play to wagyu’s strengths. There isn’t a bunch of connective tissue to break down, and the taste of the meat is pretty delicate. I personally like it sukiyaki style as well, or as thin-ish steaks with a bit of a sear on the outside and almost medium on the inside. The latter with yuzu kosho or maybe even fresh wasabi

Depending how big that is, you’re going to have a ton of leftovers. Hard for people to eat too much A5.

Around 4 pounds for 5 people… we can do it. :joy:

1 Like

Have some First Light Waygu Rib Eyes (https://www.firstlight.farm/) that I’m going to make tonight. Which wine pairings have you found successful with Waygu?

I was reading some articles online that the wine should have more earthiness and acidity so it allows the meat to shine. Perhaps a Syrah (Hermitage)?

One of my favorite ways is to slice into thin, single bite pieces and cook on a large smooth river rock (about softball sized) that I heat up on the Big Green Egg to about 700+ degrees. Makes a fun appetizer. I usually dip in a very good, aged soy with a few finely chopped scallions. We generally use chop sticks.

Edited to add: use “cook” for leads than 10 seconds per side. Maybe less.