FedEx/UPS - I have to start my own wine shipping company.

Now that we all face the nightmare of shipping again after BD, I just wanted to take a little unofficial poll and gauge:

How long would you be willing to wait for a wine shipment if it was guaranteed to be temperature controlled all the way?

1 Like

Most of the time it doesnā€™t matter - considering I buy most of my wine on pre-order and wait months or even years to receive it.

3 Likes

If you need a mule to Anchorage, I go there for work all the time :slight_smile:

Good to know! I have one customer in Anchorage that always drop ships in Seattle to save money.

But listen to this - my buddy is a captain on a Global Express based outta Van Nuys that goes back to Stockholm regularly. Just before Xmas I sent a whole sampler pack on it back to my designer (who lives there). Pretty cool - the bottles went first class and got there in about 9.5hrs! He was pretty impressed.

Haha and you complain how expensive Fedex is! :smiley:
One day Iā€™ll tell the story of the most expensive six-pack of beer in the world. Involves a 747 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think a lot of us would say we donā€™t care when it ships since we have no place to put it anyway

2 Likes

They changed the laws up here and it goes into effect in 2024. Unless the legislature writes in an exemption for smaller companies this session Iā€™m probably going to have to get offsite in Seattle and have most everything shipped there and just pick it up a case or two at a time when Iā€™m in town.

Until then, the weather aligns so rarely between California and Alaska that I already try to get most of my shipping in two 6 week windows in March/April and October/November. Iā€™d much rather wait for shipment than have it delivered when itā€™s below zero or when itā€™s 80+ down south.

Iā€™m on track to spend about $10K in shipping for this BD release. And over the course of the year, I spend easily $40K with FedEx, maybe even a bit more. In fact, theyā€™ve assigned me a dedicated customer rep because Iā€™m such a good customer! :sob:

When my shipping costs get over $50-60K/year, which they will soon, I canā€™t help but come back and flirt with the idea of a full time employee and a temperature controlled Sprinter van and having deliveries done in-house. It would solve so many problems. Not only the potential of saving money if volume increases, but ancillary stuff like:

1. Sales benefits. What increases in sales can be achieved when you can ship in any temperature?

2. Savings on the packing - now you could ship in the original case, or just a reinforced one, not have to use shippers and big bulky cardboard boxes only designed for the single purpose of handling abuse by FedEx/UPS.

3. Not to mention the environmental benefits and time sucky aspect of not having to ship bulky shippers to your warehouse to repack wine into. They already come in boxes - use those.

4. And what is the ancillary and retentive benefit of not having customers get disappointed because you shipped too cold/too hot?

Maybe one dayā€¦ :woozy_face:

1 Like

Are you enrolled in the retail wine shipper program with FedEx? Our amazing and wonderful, definitely incredibly responsive, FedEx rep only brought this program to our attention years and years after shipping daily with FedEx. Could have saved thousands upon thousands on shipping costs had this been brought to our attention when we initially enrolled as a certified alcohol shipper with them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Littorai used to deliver wine to customers in northern California via a guy with a van, wine in cases rather than shippers.

-Al

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I am! Iā€™ll ask my rep about it!

Iā€™ve found it necessary to just stick with saying ā€œrepresentativeā€ and definitely do not give it a tracking number. Takes at least 3 or 4 times before it finally says ā€œconnecting you with a representative.ā€ The bot is useless.

3 Likes

it literally just hangs up on me instead of connecting to a rep.

on top of that, the chat with UPS feature on the website literally goes away as soon as someone logs in. want to reroute a package through the chat feature with your UPS account? gotta log in for that. once you log in? good luck finding the chat feature!

1 Like