FERMENTATION Thread

my go to kim chi recipe. I let it sit on the counter for 3 days to get that extra funk. I’ve been doing a perpetual “sauce” where I make my batch of kimchi slurry then add the remaining sauce from the old jar. Just gets deeper in flavor each time. Fermentation happens quicker too.

Some hot scauces-to-be that I started a few days ago.

Chipotle, with jalapenos I smoked myself, habanero with bing cherries, habaneros with mustard seed and onion, habanero with apricots, and habanero with blueberries.
Almost all of them have garlic, and a few have ginger and other spices, and a couple with dried ghost chilies.

I also started a couple of others not pictured, with habanero and mango, and habanero with pineapple.

IMG_2854.jpg

Since I had pineapple left over from sauce making (and a couple of mangoes, too), I decided to make Tepache, a fermented Mexican beverage. It is usually very low alcohol and drank like a soda.

I started a ginger bug with organic ginger, water, and sugar. I fed it daily for about six days.
IMG_2858.JPG
I then cut up my fruit, added water and spices, and added the ginger bug. This is on day two of the ferment.
IMG_2866.jpg
It’s already tasting yummy!

Fruited hot sauces completed.
Hot sauce.JPG

Wow, that’s a heck of a sauce collection! Are the ones with fruit sweet?

I actually had to add sugar to several of them because they were a tad bitter. But I did ferment them all for a bout a month. If I had only gone a week or so I’m assuming they would have been sweeter on their own.

Awesome lineup! Salt and vinegar are first choices for taming bitter if you dont want to use fruit. You would be surprised how little vinegar it takes, like teaspoons.
04BD537E-7A55-4162-8DDE-FDFB3EE2C4AC.jpeg