Finally a real cellar and it's green.

That looks great, well done. I

am contemplating a similar set up in my basement along with a total reno. Live in the NE, so thinking I could probably get away with passive but if I’m going to go through the whole process mine as well set up to be cooled

Looks great…what is the capacity?

Nice one!!!

He answered as part of a post a few above you:

Nice, huh?

Kenny, that is a thing of great beauty made all the more so by the labor of your own hands.

(having made a much less ambitious under-the-stairs ~300 btl actively-cooled cellar myself…)

Pfft. If you weren’t so busy landscaping your yard, building decks and BGE sheds, and essentially terraforming everything within 200 yards of your house, you could dig a little hole in the ground and have a wine cellar yourself neener

As usual, spot on buzzkill from Gleason. [cheers.gif] Already stacking bottles to zone varietals and geography. hitsfan

Wow - amazing work - well done!!

That is nice. Are you going to stock glasses/decanters on the shelves at the end and use it for an working are or put OWCs there?

Nah. That is for canned goods and food preservation experiments, etc. The top is a solid shelf all the way around for that stuff. Good idea to store a decanter in there.

WOW! That looks great.

Please promise you’ll post a picture in 3 years. I would love to see it then.

Love that floor. Well done. Did you create spaces for large format wines and magnums?

That is really lovely,!
And you must feel a special feeling having done this yourself.
You should be quite proud!

I did not see any mention of a cooling system and may have missed it as I tend to skim read.
However, if your mention of green meant it is “au natural” I think that is super.

I travel France a great deal visiting Chateaux and such and so many use the hundreds of years old caves and I believe nature does a fine job.
Champagne houses with amazing cellar and Domaine’s in Burgundy have hundreds of year old storage and o not add cooling systems
and crack open old bottles and they are excellent.

Enjoy!

Yes they are on the ends so only room for 24 mags. Although could bookend them up top.

The cooling system is the ground, and in the summer perhaps also some water from the ground that circulates in the floor.

I’m guessing you are not in earthquake country, but you may want to think about this little trick if you are going two bottles high in each layer: For slope-shouldered bottles, put the bottom layer in neck first (punt facing you). Then put the second layer in with the neck out, nestled between the necks of the bottom layer. This is much more secure than the ‘glass on glass’ technique you are using on the right side, second layer.

I think i see a pair of Bedrock with white capsules.

Notice the same thing, a couple of Oakvilles maybe?

Very nice. Admire your enthusiasm.

480 is a start but sure that 960 mark will be attained soon! And then time to start on the second project.