Finding "Balance" in New World Style Wines

I think Aubert does a big CA Chard about as pretty and refined as it can be. So it can seem like it’s a more balanced wine if that is your style. I don’t care for them either. That richness just isn’t something I really want in a white wine. But I also kinda get why people would toss them out as an example of a more balanced big wine.

I think the Aubert comments can be transferred to many wines mentioned here - except with Aubert, at least the few that i’ve had, were unmistakably chardonnay at their core. That is not the case with some of the others mentioned, where you would be hard pressed to tell what the variety is.

And I understand Jim’s comment - but I also see where Doug is coming from. Yes, as a winemaker, you ideally need to forge your own path - but that is not necessarily an easy thing to do (I know it from personal experience). But Jim and others, here’s the truth - you can take any vineyard and based on when you pick and what you do, you will ‘make it your own’ - whether it be ‘riper’ or ‘leaner’ . . .

Cheers

Well stated. I totally agree. I would define an unbalanced wine as one that is a chore to drink. It is not even an intellectual consideration. It is more that each progressive taste becomes drudgery. Conversely, I know a balanced wine when I savor every sip and am sad to see the end of the bottle. I’ll add that “chore” wines are not just from alcohol and extraction, but also overt use of oak.

Some that come to mind for me:

Sea Smoke Southing and Botella, particularly if you give them 6+ years from the vintage date, and ideally more like 10+
Carlisle
Riverain cabernet
Hanzell chardonnay
Ridge Geyserville
Sandler pinot
Virage
Williams Selyem zins
Tercero reds

I think we focus heavily on the ripeness and alcohol in these discussions, particularly because the alcohol has a number (which sometimes is correct and more often is not) listed on the label, but for me, I think it’s more often about how much new oak. A high quality wine made from riper grapes, but which does not use a lot of new oak, is much more likely to have reasonable balance, weight and freshness to it. And I think oak, much more than ripeness, tends to mask the variety and terroir.

2 Likes

Cayuse and K Vintners in WA

1 Like

Agreed that new oak can definitely have this effect, but I’ve just had too many great wines that seemed a bit oaky when they were young but with age the oak integrated to be a great accent note and complement to other flavors that emerged. Some Bouchard reds come to mind, and also IME (admittedly limited) the (American) oak can stick out on Ridge Monte Bello early on but later is a great accent note. Some white Burgundies can definitely do this too. That’s not true of what I would consider excessive extraction, over-ripeness, and alcohol, they don’t settle in and end up improving the wine, you’re kind of stuck with them.

I think this is where it gets very subjective. To me, Sea Smoke and Aubert and Sina Qua Non are over-the-top, but others here consider them big but balanced. I wouldn’t group them with Bedrock or Rhys, which to me are much more restrained (and to my liking).

So… I’m not sure what you hope to glean from this. If you said, “Here are six wines I find big but balanced – A, B, C, D, E, F – suggest some others like these,” you might be able to calibrate with folks here with similar palates. Without that reference point, the answers are going to be all over the block.

I usually agree with you, but I diverge here. I think ripeness is the biggest factor. I don’t like wines that are dominated by oak (unless they’re young and I know it tends to integrate in that wine*), but for my tastes, you can overoak a wine at any alcohol.

* Or if I’m in the mood for a really slutty cabernet, chardonnay or Rioja.

1 Like

I know exactly what I mean!

I’ve noticed! After all, you seem like a very self-assertive person.

[snort.gif]

While I can completely understand someone not liking the style of Aubert or thinking the wine is too big for their tastes, being big or high ABV doesn’t preclude a wine from being in balance. A lot of Port is very nicely balanced despite the massive ABV. Massive TBAs and PX Sherry can show wonderful balance despite their massive amount of sugar and viscosity.

I think Aubert Chardonnay might be the perfect example of what Dustin was looking for. They are undeniably new world in style, being big and bold, but most people would likely argue that they still have great balance due to ample acidity, as well as nice minerality/salinity/etc. to compliment the fruit.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but the Aubert I tried definitely lacked offsetting acidity/minerality/salinity for the flabby, alcoholic, super-sweet popcorn butter elements of it. Not even close. For reference, these were two bottles of 2010 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren Vineyard drunk in 2018. On two different occasions shared with many people.

This seems like a very circular conversation. A wine is either balanced or not (nothing to do with new world). As I look through the suggestions, many I would suggest are not balanced but instead CALIBRATED (to the consumers palate), BUT that does not make it balanced.

1 Like

Cayuse – I guess I put this in the category. Yes, they can be super funky, but there’s always new world fruit and lots of it. Very low acidity a lot of times, too, yet still somehow balanced to my taste.

Doug agree with Cayuse. Love the wines and will not a wine I can afford to drink monthly still bought some for long term aging and occasionally for special occasions.

Alban - huge Rhone rider, but always very well made.

I should have bought more Alban when I could afford it!

1 Like

Cayuse and K Vintners in WA

K in my opinion nails it with Syrah and Grenache. I have never liked one of the Cab/ Merlot wines on the higher end. I do like their Substance Cab for the price.

St. Innocent
K Vintners (mentioned)
Cayuse (mentioned)
Andrew Will
Va Piano
Saviah

John,

Define ‘balanced’? It is NOT objective by any means whatsoever. I know where you are going with this, but who are you using as the ‘benchmark’ for what is balanced? If you are AFWE, your idea of ‘balance’ will most likely be different from a Saxum or SQN lover. Who’s right? You both are - and it’s not about ‘calibration’ to me - it’s about understanding that the term is subjective in nature.

Cheers.

Tangent: Thought that was one of the best wine metaphors for the year

Ha! The one time I go out of may way to agree with you, I muff it! [truce.gif]