Finger Lakes Updates?

I’ve been trying to get my hands on one of their wines but it’s not easy. So you like the cab franc over pinot noir? I’ll have to remember that.

I do in Ontario–other than Westcott’s and just one or two others from the last 4 or 5 years, I remain unconvinced that Ontario is a happy home for PN. That may just be my own taste—there are those who stoutly defend this place as a PN haven.

Come up and visit and I’ll be happy to share a PM!

The fact that some of the wineries mentioned won’t take groups larger than 6 is a real PITA. I have a group of 8 for which I am making plans so some of those I want to visit are off the list. Planned 3 days for the same group in Napa/Sonoma a few years ago and was never told by any winery that they couldn’t accommodate 8.

just to add to what Joe said, the Dr Frank sparklers can age quite gracefully…Have had some over the years that had a few years cellaring and were delightful…had the first one with some age on it at a tasting in Albany…I would never have guessed that it came from the FL region, what a surprise!!, .what followed surprised me even more…While I was praising the wine to my wife, an elegantly dressed gentleman who had been sitting near us, came over and introduced himself and said he was happy to hear that we enjoyed the wine…That’s how we met met Willi Frank a number of years ago

Great story. Thanks again to all for the updates

Clayton, are you sure you described that correctly? You talk about Ontario being better on average, and also better at the peaks, but then you state that the best FL Riesling topped Ontario. That seems to indicate that the FL wines at their peak are better than Ontario…

That’s what I intended to say. On the whole I think Ontario wines are better and the best ones are better than the best FL. The FL at their best, tops Ontario for Riesling, but it for any other grape variety for me.

Clayton, if it’s been 10 years since your last visit to the Finger Lakes, I’d be curious whether you would feel the same today - especially in regards to your comparison to Ontario. The new players like Kemmeter, Forge, Nathan Kendall, and Boundary Breaks - combined with the more established players like Wiemer, Shaw, Ravines or Dr. Frank make a great mix.

That said, I’ll be going back to the region next month in case anyone has any “new” recommendations.

Mike, I strongly recommend Bloomer Creek which was mentioned by Jon. I have visited Bloomer each of the last two years. They are only open Saturday and Sunday and I found all of their wines to high quality. As I tend to only enjoy and buy “French” chards, I was particularly impressed by their 2014 of which they only had 3 cases left back in mid August. (I bought a case) I asked if I could also buy some of their 2015 chard and it was not yet bottled as it was still resting on the lees. Talk about extended lees contact!

Mike

Completely fair point, I hope to get back there someday soon. Lovely part of the world.

Clayton

I’m pretty familiar with “les Bloomers” and have enjoyed their wines. Definitely on the natural, funky side but always interesting and it’s nice to taste with the owners for good insights. The pet nat’s are worth checking out if you haven’t yet!

Seconded! The 2014 Chards have exceptional texture and balance. Kim and Debra are lovely people to taste with and are very patient with releasing their wines.

About Bloomer, I also was greatly impressed by their 2013 chard when I had it in 2018 but did not buy any as I was headed up to Montreal for a few days; my loss. As I understand that 2015 was a very good vintage, I hope Bloomer does not sell out of the Chard too fast. I better shoot them an email to hold a case of the 2015 for me. Mike R, yea we also enjoyed the pet nat but I limited my purchase to what most impressed me as I didn’t have much space in the vehicle. (And Mike G, I will not forget to bring you a bottle of the 2014 Bloomer Creek chard to your July 2020 event!)

I too am a big fan of the Bloomer Creek chards…have enjoyed them, going back at least 10 years, perhaps even longer…

Sounds like I need to focus in on their chardonnays this next trip!

Will be visiting for the first time in a few weeks. Any recommendations for wineries that have good restaurant/lunch options?

Thanks.

We’ve had some lighter snacks at Fox Run which were decent. I’d also recommend Red Newt, as they have a bistro section for lunch with nice soups, sandwiches.
If you’re not married to the idea of lunch being at a winery, then definitely try FLX Wienery for a rustic, hearty lunch.

Ryan William Winery is a new winery that has a restaurant at the tasting room. Said to have excellent food, but closed the day I was there so cannot vouch for it, but you can do a virtual tour: https://www.thetastingbarn.com/

Just returned from FLX
Recommend
Keuka Lake winery- Leon Milot red wine. Vignoles good also. Several nice rieslings
Herman Wiemer - for their rieslings
Forge Cellars-bone dry rieslings- need appt
Boundary break - nice rieslings
Lameroux Landing- they have some decent reds

Phillip: try Stonecat Cafe on rt 414 in Hector (Seneca Lake)