Fires in Sonoma...again - Geyserville

Listening to one of the CalFire supervisors trying to explain how the Kincade fire got so big so fast, he pointed out the terrain was a major factor and wind. That area is steep hills and narrow valleys. When the fire crested one hill, the wind pushed flaming debris a quarter to half mile, to the top of the next hill and the next. The valleys burn slowly unless the wind is blowing through instead of across the valley.

My sister-in-law lives on Mt. Tamalpias in Marin County and is watching that fire from her front porch and fortunately, wind is still offshore keeping the fire from climbing Mt. Tam. She has electricity but as Murphy’s Law dictates, her waterline from the street to her house ruptured this morning so she has no water.

We don’t get much lightening in California except the the high Sierra so every fire is man made. Unfortunate but true.

Not buying that statement.

Sarah is a good follow on the Twitter machine

The 2008 fires in Mendocino were caused by dry lightning.

Paul

Okay, which big fires in the last 10 years were not caused by people? I’m including powerlines, etc.

You have lightening and spontaneous combustion as other options.

When we get a heavy rain winter, they say “lots of bushes and grasses grow, high fire danger.” When it’s a dry winter, they say “very dry, high fire danger.”

Same thing for allergy season — every year is worse than average. They never say “you know, this year is going to be very mild for allergies and low fire risk.” Which makes no sense, but what are you gonna do.

Even better, if Sonoma County gets that 45 inches of rain equally over 12 months you don’t have to worry about fires or vineyards because Sonoma County then becomes New Jersey. [cheers.gif]

Tom

I have allergies…every year is worse…same for fires now unfortunately, I think

In recent years near us in the SCM we had two started due to cars catching fire on highway 17. We had some arson stemming from some redneck love triangle and best of all the F&^&in morons who think somehow they can have a small brush fire without consequence. In our neck of the woods so far PGE hasn’t been the issue like up north. In recent history its been burning cars and rednecks near me. I Hope all effected are safe and sound somewhere.

Doing my rain dance.

Sean

[winner.gif] Native Americans used to practice this all the time eons ago. Unfortunately now we have more stakeholders involved and it is not so simple.

What wineries have been effective?
Knowing what causes these conditions, what can be done to safe guard your surroundings.?
My heart felt pain and well wishes for your future
quote=“D@vid Bu3ker” post_id=2833702 time=1571919540 user_id=367]

A fast-moving wildfire aided by powerful winds in Northern California’s wine country has prompted mandatory evacuation orders in Geyserville, an area of Sonoma County 75 miles north of San Francisco.

The Kincade Fire had spread to 10,000 acres by early Thursday, with no containment, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. The department issued red flag warnings for the area, a critical alert for when weather conditions such as high heat, low humidity, lightning strikes and strong winds could result in intense and quick-burning fires.

Hoping for the best for everyone!
[/quote]

In a disaster you can always count on the Berserkers to argue about whose fault it is and complain about how more isn’t done to prevent it.

Latest projected potential PSPS map for NorCal:

map

Looks like Ukiah to Santa Cruz and a lot of East Bay down through Santa Clara.

Hey, Harvey.

For home owners, it’s about removing potential fuel from around your property. In many “track homes” the association maintains the common areas and will keep the brush cut down.

From a regulation perspective - I think it’s against the law in California to use wood on your roof. I haven’t seen a new home built in 30 years that didn’t have concrete tiles and the outside is stucco. That’s why you see these fires roar up a hillside and then flame out at the fence of the backyard, there’s nothing to burn. In some of the more rural or older areas where the roofs/homes are make of wood, big trouble. Even so, there was a vicious fire in San Diego in 2003 that burned 2250 homes. Cedar Fire - Wikipedia

But when there are Santa Ana winds (Diablo in Norcal, Chinook in NW) which blow east off the desert with <10% humidity it makes everything crispy very quick. Yesterday the humidity was 3%. Brutal.

Here’s link to my neighborhood for example, turn on the satellite for a picture of the terrain . To the east is a very large canyon / reserve so the HOA keeps the hill cut back from the property. And then the common areas between the homes is cut back and or planted with less combustible plants.

Saw in the SFChron

That the K-J family home up on the mtn has been burned to the ground. Lots of family memories lost in that. Apparently nothing was saved. So sad.
Tom

Smoke starting to blow in to the south Bay

It’s larger than Manhattan now. And the wind is coming. Scary.

Weather is good today and they are hitting it hard. The smoke is disgustingly thick. Burns your eyes, need a respirator to breath normally. It’s creeping southward and westward. My clothes stink of smoke, my store stinks of smoke.

CB8A3189-4E68-4A7B-B7FF-0BE3B7B71F16.jpeg

Not looking good for the Windsor/Santa Rosa area. Fears of 2017 all over again…

“Extremely strong north to northeast winds are
forecast Saturday night through Sunday morning.
Sat Night… Sustained 30-55mph Gusts 60-80mph…
Sun Day… Sustained 20-35mph Gusts 40-60mph…”

Sending good vibes their way!!!