Fires - Walbridge and Meyers - Sonoma County

Ugghh

They turned off power in West Dry Creek last night as the flames worked their way down the hill. Some very large expensive home were destroyed overnight despite the massive air attack yesterday afternoon. [cry.gif]

Smoke sure shifted overnight and is making breathing a whole lot easier.

From Eastside Rd
0B779E27-A8EF-4DEE-B8ED-74FF94AF8739.jpeg
3E3818DC-A24A-4220-8727-06B8024620C6.jpeg

That shift has resulted in New evacuation orders along the Russian River.

Fuck!

Through today the 2020 California fire season already has more incidents and acres burned than the ENTIRE fire season for 2013 or 2014. Like, a lot more.

The hot dry weather seems to finally be breaking down here. Hoping for the same up by you

Nice save of the Mt Jackson site last night. Those guys are real heroes to stay there through that.
Capture.JPG

It did yesterday, back to a more normal pattern. But that’s still hot and dry, particularly inland where most of the fires are. Btw, you have another Baja tropical storm heading toward you, and then us in NorCal after the weekend.

Yes. That is one positive coming out of this. And I believe they also need fire for their cones to open. Or is that just for the Giant Sequoia Sequoiadendron giganteum?

No, there are a few pine, fir and spruce. Lodge pole pine being the classic example. The cones are fully/partially coated in resin which requires heat to melt away the resin and allow the seeds to drop.

Came home to keep Dava calm. Then this…
FA8E4628-7A66-47E7-9921-6E5FAE6D4F28.jpg
Ugh!

I liked Steph’s speech

Good luck Brian and stay safe. grouphug

I could have predicted this one!
[beatoff.gif]
[rofl.gif]

I figured you could use some servicing [cheers.gif]

Sincerely hope all is OK for you, yours and everyone up that way

Well we secured some temporary housing. Dava is friends with Carol Hansel so we’re staying at Steve and Carols old house. Evacuating up to a home with a pool! Not a bad trade-off for a few days.

Pool is nice, but does it have a BGE?

Trying to lighten the mood, a bit.

En route, I’ll let you know.

Mark, can you bring me fruity drink with an umbrella in it?
I could be doing worse!
DF6C0B8E-C3A8-4D59-8144-BD6B353FA1FB.jpeg
0B6A3BA5-25FD-4237-96E0-A53684AFB180.jpeg

My son Westin and his wife Amy lost their home in the Tubbs fire two plus years ago. He’s five miles away from this one still - at the corner of Old Redwood Highway and Mark West Springs Rd. I went to see him after lunch today - and the smoke was so thick you could hardly breathe. There are hundreds and hundreds of homes that were lost within miles of his house - that while five miles away still - are in the path of the fire. If the wind picks up and we get the flying embers of the Tubbs fire, all bets are off. My heart breaks for all the people who have lost their homes this time, and for all the people that are sitting on pins and needles like Brian (and Westin).

There are no significant winds forecasted for the next few days. 15mph to the East in the afternoon and 5mph to the SE in the night and morning. Typical pattern for this time of year. I would have stayed had my Wife not been ready to have a coronary. Hopefully some time away in a chill environment will help bring the blood pressure down.

There are 8 miles of vineyards between this fire and Santa Rosa. I’d bet the farm that Westin is safer than ever.