First Growths in First Class, Palmer in Business Class

And for Rose
7D298147-C407-4004-815C-35F3747FBD59.jpeg

Well his lips don’t move when he types so…:slight_smile:

If you got rid of all the lawyers from WB wouldn’t have much left here!

No, it’s for real. There’s lots of research on it. The reduced air pressure and low humidity mess with your taste buds and your sense of smell, reducing your ability to taste and smell:

Watched a trip report of the Etihad Residence ($30k+ each way) recently (can’t remember whether it was The Points Guy or another blog…) and was horrified that they were pouring Line 39 PN…

I fly Delta One a fair amount, and the most interesting thing I’ve ever been served was Ramey Rodgers Creek Syrah (can’t remember the vintage) on a flight from HNL-ATL. I was the only one drinking it, and I wasn’t complaining.

Well…I’m just gonna have to bring an empty bottle of Chatow Lafeet in my next flight and used it as a urinal…to feel like some of you guys in First Class!

Absolutely true, and widely proven so. When we fly F on Cathay or JAL or ANA, we always board early and drink as much of the good champagne as we can before take off. Even from the same bottle, less than 30 minutes later, it doesn’t taste nearly as good.

+100 to what John/Sarah and others have said. Good wine at altitude is a complete waste.

As someone who flies business a fair amount, I wish airlines would understand that and splurge on the pre-departure Champagne when you can actually taste and enjoy it, and save money on the rest of the wine/spirits program served at altitude. I would welcome airlines putting the savings elsewhere into the experience, like the lounge, pajamas, a better amenity bag, better entertainment, etc.

IIRC, they pour the standard business class champagne as pre-departure bev to save on tax. Maybe you just enjoy the consistent taste of NV champagne more. champagne.gif

Here’s the video with Cheval Blanc. I suspect they run to BDX on off years and load up. Cheval Blanc gets to feature their wines to EK F passengers. Win win for everyone.

CX does the same with Lynch Bages. You see them using the same Lynch Bages vintage for at least 5 years now.

Pretry insulting for you to assume I’m ignorant of what’s in my glass. Either you don’t “RC”, or have had a different experience. I’m neither blind nor a wine dunce, and I have watched Krug and Dom being poured in my glass pre flight more times than I can count. We’ve then finished the same bottle in the air.

Delta didn’t pour us any Dom, Krug, Yquem or 1st growth last summer to SFO.
I drank Dewars because all of the wines were crap.

But they have Pappy, and you can redeem 12.5k skymiles for a whole bottle of Dom.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30690068-post9.html

I guess the only appropriate reply is
[rofl.gif]

what an imbecilic thread

I have travelled on First and Business class in Emirates on numerous occasions. Just returned long distance - Melbourne -Glasgow-Melbourne - in June. Didn’t see any 1st or 2nd Growths on the flight. The drinks menu specifically suggested ask of any special wines that we may be carrying. And I did and the bottle of 1er cru white burgundy was poured for a producer i had not heard about.

In the first class lounge in Dubai you occasionally have a surprise. A Gruaud Larose, Bechevelle, Y by D’Yquem

EVA May have the best Champagne selections for Business Class with ‘04 Krug and ‘06 Veuve Clicquot LGD.

by far. they do Dom as well

At the same time, it doesn’t mean it’s a waste, it’s just non-ideal. In the air, I’m confident that I can still perceive differences in taste, even if a lesser degree. And I certainly would much rather have the food in 1st class than coach.

After all, our taste buds decline significantly once we reach our 60s, but no one here will say it’s a waste to drink good wine at that age (: