First Time in France - Itinerary

I discussed Rougeard when dining at Hôtel des Bains in 2018 and back then their allocation was 12 bottles per wine in a vintage. Considering that the odds of you walking out with the Poyeux probably would not have been great but who knows :slight_smile:

Haven’t been over there for a year, but the Le Grande Epiceries in Passy used to have several Rougeards on the shelf. I don’t recall what the mark-up was, but I don’t recall it being too bad, as I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times. Worth a call. Worst case, if you walk over and come up empty handed you can always grab a bottle of Gin Garden Gin Tonic, Distillerie de Paris - Distillerie de Paris

While they shut me out of the rest of their Rougeard at Restaurant Bras in Laguoile, the nice sommelier wrote me on his business card a recommendation for a small wine store in town where I purchased 5 bottles of 2014 Raveneau 1ers for Euro 30 - 40sh. I would have cleaned them out of Raveneau if I only I didn’t have 4 more days of driving around to do with my wife.

Damn! One can only dream of something like that happening, good for you :slight_smile:

Thanks his wine store. :slight_smile:

He never told me while at the restaurant. So the following day I went to the store and only until after the sales person rang-up my bottles that I mentioned about the sommelier suggesting their store when she responded that the sommelier (Sergio) is also the owner of the wine store.

Plenty of geeky goodies in that little shop, btw.

Alright, I’m heading to Laguiole next summer [cheers.gif]

One thing: We did a spur-of-the-moment trip to Champagne, taking the TGV to Reims. Silly moi thought the station would be in town, but no. It’s about three miles away. Hey see that way over there across the fields? It’s Reims! Luckily there was an Avis office at the “station” and so we got a car. We ended up going to Epernay first, found the Avenue de Champagne and I parked the car and we just walked the Avenue. We did the tour at Moet and it was excellent. The place is gorgeous and the caves are mind-blowing. I was lucky enough to be able to buy vintage bottles from my kids birth years, and also a Dom Perignon bottle stopper. Most of the rest of the day we just walked up the Avenue and back, with my wife and our friend from the US getting totally hammered and me, the mature responsible adult and driver enjoying sips. We went back to Reims and found a nice cafe next to the magnificent cathedral, ate cheese and charcuterie with beer this time, and chilled until it was time to take the TGV back to Paris. All in all a splendid and easy day trip.

Took the TGV from Paris to Reims, about 4 years ago. From the train station, it took us about 10 to 15 minutes to leisurely walk to, and back from, the Cathedral area which I presume is at the town center. Which means it was less than a mile.

Did they move the station since? Or, is there another train station in town that’s farther away?

FWIW - French strike is now impacting other European routes, as the air traffic controllers are refusing to show up to work. I’m seeing several colleagues rant on Facebook about other routes (London to Geneva, Madrid to AMS, etc.) being delayed because they are unable to fly through French airspace.

Yes - we went to the Champagne Ardennes station, not knowing any better. [oops.gif]

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their insights regarding my trip! The trip was a blast and exploring Champagne was really fun.

Now, If only I didn’t miss my flight back to the States, things would have been perfect HAHA

[thankyou.gif]

oops! Great to hear you had a super holiday though