Flannery July 4 Sale

Thanks - I ordered a pack along with the hanger steaks.

i think everyone does something a lil different, but I just do high heat sear and then put it aside on indirect heat for 15 minutes. A little closer to rare than medium rare if it’s a 20+oz. The bonus of these Kansas strips if you can rest it indirect on the bone.

Could also go the oven route as well, 275F in the oven for 20+ minutes then hit it on the hot grill.

Anyone used/tried these?

I’ve never been able to tell the difference, and don’t buy in to the notion that a bone adds anything to the flavor profile of a steak. That’s just my opinion, but I’ll go with Kenji on the science part:

I share your opinion. And, Bryan has even mentioned (I think it was him) that he doesn’t think there’s much added benefit. But, I have no problem with folks that think otherwise and happily will enjoy a steak with the bone intact. I just don’t seek it out anymore.

To my understanding, the beautiful effect of the bones has to do with thermal effect of bone on the meat next to it. It allows you to put a nice char on the steak but still have an area maybe an inch or so that is next to the bone that stays very juicy due to the fact it is getting a little more protection from the direct heat. In a steak as small in diameter as a strip, this might be important?

Maybe some flavor is imparted from the bone (maybe) but it is mainly the thermal factor.
Same with Ribeye and Porterhouse(TBone).

Nothing like gnawing on those bones after cooking a good steak.

Do you use a thermapen to determine when your meat is ready to pull off the grill? What do you mean by “rest it indirect on the bone?”

got my delivery last night, minor error (got too many filet tips) … ready to BBQ on the 4th

I am on the website checking something and noticed he has the dry aged hangers right now (in Helluva Deal section)… why weren’t these there when I placed my order… it is as if he is taunting me (damn you Flannery…) Tempted to get a few and just take the hit on shipping a small order…

Did I miss the sale…$74 for a 24 oz…?? Or is that the sale price?

Drat, looks like the sale is over. With the heading “July 4 sale” I thought I had until July 4 to order. I guess it was only ordering in time to receive by July 4 :frowning:

At least I still have stuff from the last sale.

I can’t wait to compare one of the 24oz rib eyes with a 24oz bone in strip with a hanger. Gluttony… begin!

Lol. I received my order Tuesday; can’t wait to slap a few of the hangars on the grill. Any recs on seasoning? I normally use fresh garlic and pepper then liberal sea salt when I remove them from the grill. I have always been in the less is better camp for seasoning steaks.

I put a couple of them on the grill last night, sea salt and pepper…good lord are they delicious!

I missed the sale, unfortunately.

Garlic and pepper can both burn on the grill… salt before cooking and add other stuff after (though with these in particular I rarely add anything else… they stand on their own)

If you like garlic you could saute or roast it seperately and then join it with the cooked steak.

Just crust with Maldon and pepper when off the grill. Also I do an asian marinade with equal parts soy sauce, chili garlic, lime juice, and peanut oil. Always dry before cooking, and add a little Maldon before hitting a very hot grill. Mike

I’ve tried peppering after cooking because people mention pepper burning, but I don’t do it for two reasons…

1. I don’t like the flavor of raw pepper on my steak, I guess I like it charred a bit, and
  2. I read that various bacteria (e. coli, salmonella, etc) on raw pepper and other raw spices is a large cause of food poisoning and I don’t want to risk that. I also never accept fresh pepper on dishes at restaurants.

Curious where you read that, as I have never heard such mentioned as a source of food poisoning.

I believe it was actually a television news journal, such as 20/20 or something, let me look around.

From September 2013

October 2013