Flannery's 130 day dry aged steak--how is this going down?

FA8DF47D-1EC3-48A1-8AE9-E879E7057667.jpeg

2 Likes

Non what so ever. So happy Valentines to You guys

+1 with Paul. Totally fine steak and I enjoyed the flavor. Yes, I’m a big Flannery fan :smiley:

omg this is hilarious, Michael - bravo

Ok, so when putting together the Valentine’s Day schedule, it sounds like sexy time should precede the 130 day ribeye.

You might want to prepare yourself for 130 days of dry aging.

2 Likes

Honestly, reading this thread scared me a bit, and I was prepared for the worst, but the steak was very good.

No “funk” at all in the taste, although can definitely tell the dry aging. Meat was denser and not “juicy” compared to other steaks.

I liked it a lot and would definitely buy here more and there, but not a regular buy like other Flannery cuts (hangers are my fav).

My preparation:
Season with salt and pepper.
Put in 225 oven until internal temp at 125 (about 20-25 minutes).
Sear in very hot cast iron skillet with avocado oil for 45 seconds per side.
Topped with some rosemary infused butter.
Good crust and steak was a medium-rare.

Tom

1 Like

I was definitely in the camp of “interesting but not sure I liked it enough to do again”. Very funky although it blew off after a while. Definite cheesy notes to it. Certainly no after-effects. Glad I tried it, but also good to know it isn’t my thing.

1 Like

These steaks have too much funk and too much blue cheese type of finish versus meaty goodness. Just my opinion. I like about 30 to 40 days. That is the sweet spot for me.

1 Like

Wife’s out of town, so finally getting around to doing one of these tonight. She wasn’t a fan when I asked Bryan to take my normal order out to 55+ days, so I think this would be WAY too much funk for her.

Any suggestions beyond what has been written in this thread? Plan is to heavily salt this and sear on a very hot BGE without much else in terms of finesse since these are relatively thin compared to my normal steaks from him where I often do some variation of reverse sear.

1 Like

I like extra aged steaks from Bryan in general (50 - 60 days) and I’ve had out to 100 days that I loved, but this one had a ton of ammonia on it, even after sitting out a few hours. The ammonia actually got much worse with cooking - raw, it mostly just smelled beefy, and I was excited. But post cook, the ammonia was pretty strong. We throw out cheese that starts smelling that way because Jonathan is ultra sensitive. I didn’t mind it as much, and I liked the texture, but I wouldn’t want more.

Okok, I know – I held on to these for a bit. These were GREAT! We didn’t think they were necessarily funky, but had such wonderful and fairly intense concentration. Paired wonderfully with an excellent 2019 Fingers Crossed Syrah.

I would buy these again if available

2 Likes

I found one buried in the freezer under some of my film, so had to cook it up for my B-day a few days ago. I LOVE long aged steaks, something about the buttered popcorn profile I get drives me nuts (used to be a popcorn addict. I had a huge movie theater size popcorn machine to get the real deal. great cooking with coconut oil!) anyway a simple 6 min a side under a screaming hot broiler and just salt and pepper. AWESOME. so glad I was able to grab some. hoping for another deal like that one in a few weeks!

john

2 Likes