Food Trends to Retire in 2015

Also, I’m going to agree with one of the commentors on the article - artisan ketchup. Heinz has pretty much perfected this product people. I’ll pass on your pompous preparation of pureed cherokee purples.

See, e.g., http://gladwell.com/the-ketchup-conundrum/.

Agreed. Several in Chicago now do this as well. Was looking at new places to go for my birthday, and had to ax a few because they employ the wait-in-line method.

And NO MORE FOAM!

Actually, they should feel bad, not badly. Unless, of course, there is something wrong with their fingers.

Amen. I was just in a restaurant in Amsterdam where they offered us bottled water for the table, small or large. I asked for tap. I was told that they prefer to serve bottled water. So I said I prefer to drink tap. Then I was told that it is their “policy” to serve bottled water, small or large. I asked if she was refusing to fill a pitcher at the sink. She told me she’d worked there for 5 years and it had always been their policy. I made it clear I didn’t care about their policy, and she could bring me tap water, or I’d be leaving. A carafe appeared.

I knew I was being obnoxious, but really - you “policy” is against serving tap water in a city with perfectly safe and good water available?

At least you don’t have to buy tickets months in advance

We had a great beet ketchup with roasted carrot salad on Sunday.

Good for you!

Most truffle oil is overflavored and disappointing because the flavoring is not real truffle, but a cheaper artifical ingredient: 2,4-dithiapentane. Truffle oil - Wikipedia

I would have agreed with this a few decades ago, but Heinz has gone overboard with sweetness… both the “regular” version with HFCS and the “simple” version with real sugar. They need to bring back a “classic” version with the recipe and ingredients of the '60s and '70s ketchup.

This is demonstrably false in all regards.

Done.

It’s now pork belly.

Have they done away with “deconstructed” by now?

LOL…but, Sarah…some cities’ tap water really tests the envelope of taste. And, though I don’t live in the City anymore…our mutual “hometown” of Philadelphia can really turn out some tap water that smells (and tastes) like a public swimming pool. New York’s is delicious by comparison. So…I had to chuckle. That doesn’t stop me from having it, however, as I’m not usually too focused on the water at a restaurant.

Hate truffle oil,kale pushing bottled water and the waitstaff saying excellent choice to everything the table orders

Notice anything floating on top of water??? I bet everyone in the kitchen hawked a loogie for that carafe! Just kidding but you never know what people do in the back - i used to work back there…

Urasawa in la only serves bottled water and they keep opening and charging you as they very very quickly top you off.

My wife and I basixally took small sips thoughout the dinner :smiley:

Ha you LA guys crack me up. Do you use organic artisanally raised local olive oil ?

Only if free range chickens live among the trees and it has to be from heirloom almonds.

Foraged ingredients…so 2012/2013.

[banhim.gif] [banhim.gif] [crazy2.gif]

Chinese soup dumplings [stirthepothal.gif]