Forget sabering. We should all open champagne like this.

ok-dumpy-diapers-1.jpg

The glass neck is much heavier than the cork but there’s enough power in the bottle to shoot that thing across a room and destroy a TV set, which I’ve seen happen with the saber method. My WAG is that the bottle was standing upright for some time and there was absolutely no disturbance in the wine, and perhaps it was really cold. Otherwise I don’t know how it didn’t shoot into the ceiling.

Still pretty cool though.

Mama had a baby and its head popped off!

Educated Guesses: they had the bottle in an ice bath. The cork was stable when they placed it on the table and took the foil off. If he doesn’t disturb the bottle, it will remain stable for a considerably longer time than it will take to remove the cork. With the bottle standing straight up and a properly made bottle, the pressure from below can only force the cork straight up so you know where it will go. He didn’t heat it very much and as you can see he seems to be monitoring the glass temp change with his hand, presumably based on experience, to know how long to continue heating. The increased kinetic energy from the heating process provides just enough additional pressure in the head space to overcome static friction and launch the cork gently into the air. I’m guessing that with practice any of us could do this. Looks fun to try if gimmicky.

Why did no Champagne escape from the bottle? In hind sight I didn’t explain my theory very well.

Does champagne always escape when you pull the cork?

When sabering yes. Usually. It appears he is at least 2 inches below the bottom of the cork as well.

I don’t personally saber, but I’ve seen several videos on YouTube where no liquid is lost when sabering. I don’t see why lost liquid is a prerequisite of opening a bottle, whether you pull a cork or saber above the fluid level. Are you sure this is the conspiracy theory on which to plant your flag? How bizarre.

Absolutely not. Not a scientist by any means. It just seems odd that he cut the bottle so far down the neck, well below where a saber would remove it and there was not even a light spray.

Truth is I really don’t care what a Somm in Copehagen thinks is gram worthy. Just trying to join the conversation. I will keep quiet in the future.

I understood this part in the first place. However, could you please explain the logic behind your reasoning on how the cork and the neck just pop up in the air if there is no Champagne in the bottle?

Have you ever seen a Vintage Port neck jump out in the air when opening a bottle with tongs?

When your sabering the bottle is sideways and energy from the saber is flowing that way. I’d certainly think that’s part of what makes the cork and glass travel further and also have more risk for liquid loss (although I’ve certainly done it without any loss)

Didn’t really think that one out. Perhaps the bottle could be filled with Argon then reworked. Assuming the video wasn’t doctored and the whole thing is an illusion.

Go ahead and fail my hypothesis Professor.

I meant to say recork not rework.