Forget your Coravin, Pungo and Wine Squirrel -- use the fridge

I keep these in the cabinet and fill them up to the tippy top then put it in the fridge. Each 125ml bottle is probably more like 150ml when filled to the top, so it’s pretty much one full glass or two smaller “tasting size” pours. I opened a 2006 Colgin Cariad a couple weeks ago, filling 3 of these bottles right after opening (drinking what remained - about 1/3 of the bottle?) and have grabbed a Pyrex probably once a week since then. Each time I grab one, the wine is still perfectly fresh.

Not surprising that vacuvin doesn’t work well. They aren’t able to maintain very much of a vacuum at all, so I would imagine their ability to reduce the amount of oxygen in the head space of the bottle is fairly minimal.

I think the Boston rounds or other smaller vessels that remove the head space are good, but you probably need to also invest in a siphon to reduce the amount of oxygen that diffuses in while decanting.

Systems like Repour, which absorb oxygen instead of attempting to displace it, also seem to work well for this.

Lol. Was it madeira?

Nope, dry red. Obviously I meant open as in recorked, but I was skeptical myself before tasting it just to be sure. Ended up having the remainder for dinner.

I haven’t poured wine down the drain in the 3 years since getting a Coravin. Dumped a lot before then.

Something I will do, depending on the wine and perhaps how long it’s been sitting in the fridge, is pour out 2-3 ounces down the drain and leave the rest for drinking.

I once did that with an old bottle of Burgundy with a loose cork. The wine in the neck of the bottle smelled shot but instead of dumping the whole thing, I got rid of a few ounces. I’m glad I did because what was underneath was gorgeous!

I figure there’s no harm. If the rest of the bottle is dead, down it goes. But, at least I give it a try to see if any part of it is drinkable.

Afib be damned!

Hoping one of our resident chemists/physicists weigh in , but it does not seem plausible that the top few ounces would be worse than the rest of the bottle (becaues of diffusion).

My best results are using CorkPops Wine Preserver canned gas right after opening and pouring, recorking and refrigerating.
This works very well for days.