Fried Chicken over Turkey?

Well bird in bird in bird action has been discussed on this site. Just search Turducken.

I’ll try to post it when I get a chance. Two key elements are making a good turkey stock to use in both the dressing and the gravy and reserving as much turkey fat as possible from the roasted parts for the stock, skimmed from the chilled stock, and from the roast turkey on Thanksgiving and using the turkey schmaltz as the fat for the roux for the gravy.

1 Like

GF really wants to do one and I’m just like… no.

this is just another instance of social darwinism.

deep frying a ‘whole turkey’ is about as stupid as roasting a whole turkey.
why cook a leg and breast for the same amount of time? makes zero sense.
dark meat first, then breasts. easy to splash them back in after the fact to keep everything hot for serving.

New movie soon: “Darwin Takes A Holiday”

I thought everyone knew the alternative to turkey is lasagna… build it the day, before place in fridge, heat up on Thursday, watch football and drink.

If I make a turkey I break it down in advance, make stock from the back and wings for the gravy, may roast the dark meat in advance and use it for other days. can roast the breast alone or debone it and make a turkey “porchetta”.

2 Likes

Worthy of a Will Rogers award for its practicality and common sense!

My parents still host t-day, but I think soon I will have to be the chef de cuisine when it comes to t-day… but I plan on spatch cocking the bird when I do it.

I guess any crockpot dish would also substitute. Perhaps a modern twist on beef bourguignon might suffice since it’s pretty much making its own gravy.

Some people enjoy a plate with both dust-dry breast meat and chewy dark-meat sushi.

inertia and nostalgia are powerful forces.

If you’re going to spatchcock the bird, go the rest of the way and just separate the legs. Fitting a spatchcocked turkey on one sheetpan is a challenge anyway plus you now have better control over temps of dark and light meat. run two thermometers and just pull each pan when it is done.

Yeah, I’ll do that. I’ll run it with a Meater+ and just watch the temps. I’m a sous vide cooker and wireless thermometer type of home cook after many years of just doing things by instinct. I’ve never really had a problem before precision cooking, but it just helps with consistency for sure.

Lots of considerations. It makes no sense for the time and expense to do only one. You need a pot and basket rig made for this. Should never be done near a building or under an overhang. Oil with a high burn temperature such as peanut oil should be used. Fill level needs to be sufficiently low to cover bird but not overflow pot. (This is how most fires start.) Small turkey should be used, probably at about 12 lbs. Most of the time prep includes injecting with marinade but bird has to be be completely defrosted and dry before being submerged. Timing is usually about 3 minutes per pound but this should be verified and watched precisely. Good luck.

I would definitely do a dry brine 100% wet brine ain’t it.

We’ve been deep frying turkeys for Thanksgiving for over 10 years. Marinade (Double Bastard base + spices) injected under the skin, dry rub on top. Cook the whole bird for 4 minutes/lb, rest, carve and serve. Comes out perfect every time. On Friday, we will deep fry a couple of breasts to add to the leftovers for sandwiches, then the Costco frozen section goes into the fryer: marinara sticks, wings, shrimp, etc, followed by deep fried candy bars for the finale. It is a lot of fun.

If it isn’t obvious, measure the displacement by putting the turkey (plastic bagged, of course) in the fryer pot and fill with water until the turkey is covered, take the turkey out and draw a line at the water mark. Dump the water and fill with peanut oil. Heat until 375 and slowly lower the bird into the hot oil (we use a broomstick and two people). Make sure you have a fire extinguisher nearby.

1 Like

Perfect for a gender-reveal party.

That’s why women supervise the 8-10 drunk guys who stand outside in the frozen tundra of Seattle watching the turkey fry. We know what we don’t know.

“Hold my beers while I show you all how to drop the bird…”