Frozen meat: yea or nay?

I’ve had well sealed frozen meat after years in the freezer that was just fine.

It’s a near certainty that everyone who refuses to entertain the notion of frozen meat has had it many times at restaurants - even very good restaurants - and been none the wiser. Well sealed, properly thawed meat will be almost indistinguishable from fresh as far as taste goes. There may be a small impact on texture, but less so than you’d get from variations in your cooking method. I’d rather buy quantities of the very best I can afford, most of which I freeze (properly), than shop every time for fresh and sometimes have to sacrifice quality due to availability.

I wouldn’t worry. I’ve had Flannery steaks that have been vacuum sealed and frozen for at least 4 years that were pretty much indistinguishable from fresh.

Yea. Vacuum sealed and frozen meat tastes perfect. And it’s great to have a stash in the freezer.

If you’re cooking, any time flirtysmile

Edited to add: didn’t realize those posts were from 8 years ago. newhere

when life return to normal, I would be happy to cook for you.

and vice versa of course.

Same here. Depends on what you are doing with it also. If you are going to braise, stew, slow cook it anyway, generally no downgrade in using well packaged frozen meat. Chopped meat and stuff like that is where the difference is most discernible if you ask me.

I’ve got a freezer full of frozen, vacuum-sealed meat. It’s pretty damn reliable, although I believe I’ve noticed some differences in texture with cuts that have large fat-caps, etc.

I’m super happy ordering in bulk and freezing, but I’ll try to eat those cuts (tri-tip w/fat cap, picanha) fresh, if at all possible. Could be that vacuum-seals on those irregular cuts aren’t as tight as what I’ve seen in a standard rib-eye or NY, which means the meat and juice is exposed to more air when I put in the freezer.

Flame away.

I currently have a freezer that is literally half filled with Flannery. Vacuum sealed and never disappoints

I just used some flannery blend to make meatballs. Everyone in our family thought that the flavor was awesome.

That meat has been in our garage stand up freezer since July 1 2019.

And on the thawing front, sous vide is your friend. I set it to 36 deg and stuff defrosts very quickly. Or i have items like preseasoned pork chops or rib eye that i can go straight from the freezer to sous vide. Put in the water bath at lunch and then hit the grill when i get home from work.

Found another one and Here’s the meat in question. Crazy I’ve forgotten about these somehow. One of them has a price sticker that says 05-16! The ice on them is on the outside of the package.
Throw it in the gumbo?
F893F101-B024-40E2-995D-95C3FB77CAC7.jpeg

I wouldn’t hesitate to use it. From https://www.foodsafety.gov/food-safety-charts/cold-food-storage-charts:

“The guidelines for freezer storage are for quality only—frozen foods stored continuously at 0 °F or below can be kept indefinitely.”