Fruit Bomb Syrahs

I forgot the quintessential American Fruit Bomb. McPrice Myers. Delicious.

Alf - there is an important saying about fruit bombs that applies to the tennis gaggle and is incorrectly attributed to the Talmud, “when five Rabbis tell you that you are drunk, lie down.”

So I Googled Lulu pants. They do not come in my size, so no chance of a photo.

Major insult to Syrah. And wine.

Pass the bacon please. [cheers.gif]

What exactly is a fruit bomb? A negative connotation, right? newhere

Defined as a wine with over-powering fruit, high ABV, and low acid or tannin that is noticeably out of balance?

I agree that we need to define Fruit Bomb. I think most California Syrahs are fruit bombs. Same with California Pinot. But I don’t really mean that to be pejorative. There is just a lot of, what I consider, fruit. Things like SQN and the like don’t show fruit to me. Just because I don’t consider prunes topped with wood to be fruit. Even though prunes are considered fruit. Right?

Jason

Good question Kim. Subjective definition. Some wine lovers look at it positively. Quite a while ago I though bigger was better. Now, not so much.

You’ll have to come up with your own definition. “Bomb” means “a container filled with explosive, incendiary material, smoke, gas, or other destructive substance”, which is fairly negative for a bottle of wine.

Of late, my definition is that they tend to have big forceful fruit (not necessarily “over-powering”, but sometimes), typically high ABV but not necessarily. “Out of balance”…not necessarily either. I see them as lacking nuance, charm, charisma, interest and subtlety (among other things). They tend to be dense, heady and “in your face”. “Hedonistic” is a descriptor that comes to mind, which isn’t all bad.

The “Anti-flavor Wine Elitists” were labeled by Robert Parker because of their distain for “Fruit Bombs”.

Drink what you like. Among geeks you might be given some ribbing for whatever you choose…and you’ll usually have a chance to poke some fun as well.

RT

I’m not understanding the wine and chocolate pairings at all. Seems like it’s for people who aren’t “serious” about wine!

Zinfandel?

I see the name Qupe around here a lot and have never tried it before. I was wondering if the entry level Central Coast bottling is worth trying?

Denner in Paso makes a good fruit forward Syrah.