Gallo buys J, this is why we can't have nice things!

Not trying to be a jerk Merrill, but Napa is pretty much already there. Sonoma not as much. [cheers.gif]

Well, some of us are sincerely interested in what we do, and are working hard to preserve it. I was horrified about the Latour/Araujo deal, but honestly, we neighbors have noticed little change with that turnover. They are still farming and I have not noticed any change in footprint. But the gobbling up by developers is a big issue. Gee, come on up to Napa Valley and buy a freaking condo so you can look at your neighbors’ condos. For what?

I can’t fault these two vineyard/winery purchases I just heard about (not verified yet), but if its true, they sold out because they neighbored on land being targeted for resort development. Again, just as with the subject of this thread, the lure of an easier life style and quick money in the pocket (not timed to the next vintage release) has to have some appeal.

To all those bemoaning the J sale. Where are the J Vineyards tasting notes from all those wines you are drinking? Oh, that’s what I thought.

I certainly do not disagree with the idea of selling an established business for a profit. Financial security and the ability to do as you please is a great way to live.

I’ve never bought a bottle of “J” anything. Ever.

God I love you, Mr. Tuite. You bring a grin to my face whenever I see you have posted on a thread I am interested in. I just never know which angle you are going to take!

J is the place I first fell in love with wine more years ago than I care to count. I’ll withhold judgment for now and see how this all plays out, but that bit about what happened to employees doesn’t sit well with me at all if it’s true.

Thanks for the ITB insight – as the old saying goes, “when you hear thundering hooves, look for horses, not zebras.” Often the most straightforward explanation is the right one.

I’m planning to visit @ J Vineyards, so I will ask about their long term view of the change (hopefully, they won’t kick me out in response… pileon )

Or, as they say here in the midwest, “A farmer is a millionaire for one day in his life - the day he dies”.

Saw confirmed this morning that Von Strasser sold - this was one of the 2 Diamond Mountain wineries that I had heard were sold. The article I read did not said who Rudy sold to, but there is a resort in the works up there (it was approved as Enchanted Forest or some such thing), and perhaps it is to that group.

Here is what I read this morning: http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm?section=news&content=149217

I just placed an order with J Vineyards as their Pinotage is not available in stores here in Florida. The person I spoke with in the tasting room said that it’s business as usual for now. My fear is that the new owners will pull out their more unusual varieties (Pinotage, Meunier, Viognier) in favor of the more popular/common ones.

Haha well said Brian, cheers!

I visited them for the first time (have had the wines/bubbles before) this January, it was a nice experience wines were good hopefully the staff/employees are taken care but a friend of mine who works for Gallo has said some of the reports of people having to re-apply for jobs etc are true and that Gallo will keep the machine running as they always do, whether it pisses off current employees. Either way this shit happens right? Would people have been less likely to complain if some new “player(s)” had come in and bought it instead of big corp?

I visited J vineyards on Friday. It was a nice visit, but we were not impressed with the wines tasted. It could be that my palate changed, but I found some of them to be simply, flat. The vineyard tour was nice, but I think also that in most of the tour we did not get the same level of knowledge and expertise on the wine we got in other vineyards. I will post my tasting notes and pictures from the tour later.

I did ask about the sale and the guide’s basic reply was that they are expecting the operation to remain similar. We’ll see.

“expecting everything to stay the same.” Yeah, no takeover company has ever said that. lol

J sparklers tend to be a little on the sweet & soft side except maybe the late disgorged stuff.

Maybe they’ll put a “barefoot” on the label now? :slight_smile: