Gallo Purchases Pahlmeyer

They’re roughly the same distance, on either side, of Atlas Peak. Their position, relative to everything else (i.e. weather influences), isn’t identical, but seem moderately similar.

The soils aren’t the same either, but they share similar characteristics…esp that they’re both extremely rocky soils…and that they have a not too dissimilar soil chemistry.

I could see Gallo look at the two vineyards and think that they could make Stagecoach work in a Pahlmeyer like way, but want a backup position (several year contract for pahlmeyer fruit) to give them some room to work out the details.

Don’t hate Pahlmeyer but for me I would rather buy Anderson’s Conn Valley across the board for less money.

[winner.gif]

Had a wonderful ‘93 Proprietary Red last night

• 1993 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/24/2019)
    Decanted for an hour and drank over the next hour. Very similar on initial decant and two hours later. Color is deep and rich and belies it’s age. Palate is classic aged Bordeaux blend that would seem French if served blind. Cherry and plum behind pencil shaving with leather and some earth.

Posted from CellarTracker

As GregT said…“Interesting that they bought the name and not the vineyards.”

If Gallo buys MacDonald, but not the vineyard, I’d be out, as well.

Same for several others.

They’ve been one of the major players being the anti-wine shipping lobby.

That certainly qualifies as evil.

If we only knew how many Gallo owned labels contained Monte Rosso juice. Stagecoach will be another vineyard to ponder over.

I’ve had mixed feelings about Gallo for 50 years.

Gallo at one time was the largest organic farmer in the world, with 8000 acres (don’t know about now). Of course, they didn’t give a shit about organic, it was just cheaper to hire undocumented labor than to buy chemicals.

As mentioned, they fight direct sales tooth and nail, and prohibiting direct sales is unethical if not unconstitutional.

When Louis Martini was in financial difficulties, they bought it at a fair price, kept on Michael Martini, gave him resources, and today, IMO, Louis Martini Sonoma Cabernet is one of if not the single greatest value in consistently fine Cabernet, easily available in most if not all American markets. I can’t tell you how many glasses of it (and also Gallo Chardonnay) I’ve downed in airport and hotel bars when I wanted a glass of something drinkable at a fair price.

I could go on…

Dan Kravitz

Just had my first Pahlmeyer, a 2014 merlot, and it was really nice - well balanced, deep, plenty of fruit, nothing over the top - a very good pairing alongside some thyme and rosemary lamb chops. No complaints, and no idea how this sits relative to more recent vintages.

Yes, and it goes way beyond that. Anyone saying it doesn’t make sense to not buy Gallo products is either uninformed or has reason to not acknowledge certain facts about Gallo’s business practices. I’m not saying it’s the only reasonable decision to not buy from them, but it certainly is a reasonable decision.