Garbage wines master list?

There are plenty of people who enjoy Caymus and plenty of other people who enjoy Sutter Home White Zin. My late grandmother was one of the latter. She was a wonderful, classy woman who happened to like semi-sweet, pink wine. The concept of this thread is disgusting and offensive to me.

5 Likes

Iā€™m referring to the NV - should have specified. To me, itā€™s a $20 Champagne in a $50 package. Plenty of wines like that, but I think Veuve is one of the worst offenders.

These are all well-made wines that appeal to very broad consumer bases. I donā€™t think theyā€™re any indicator of bad taste, just different taste than people around here have. Iā€™m glad so many people like wine, and Iā€™m glad most of them donā€™t want the wines I love. Otherwise Iā€™d have a lot of trouble getting the wines I love. I would (somewhat) happily drink a glass of any of these if someone served it to me or ordered it at a restaurant with me. I just wouldnā€™t go for a second glass. The rules of whatā€™s ā€œgoodā€ are arbitrary anyway. Theyā€™ve just been accepted for so long that those of us who study wine as a hobby and/or a profession tend to learn to agree, therefore valuing things like complexity and ageability. I can love Jim Jarmusch movies and still find the Bourne franchise entertaining. People like what they like. If we had a much more limited wine market, I suspect that would be terrible for those of us who love a variety of artisanal wines. And there probably canā€™t be enough really interesting, well-made artisanal wines to satisfy the entire worldā€™s demand (not even the entire US). Iā€™m happy the mass market brands help so many importers, distributors, retailers, and even restaurants to ā€œkeep the lights onā€. Heck, they can even be a gateway to the good stuff!

Now, if you want to disparage terribly flawed natural wines, you can find many contentious threads on that to dig up and add to (probably too many Iā€™ve posted in). [stirthepothal.gif] deadhorse grouphug

3 Likes

And perhaps you are unaware that the Silver Oak winemaker is a respected member of this board? Would you get in his face and tell him his wines are garbage?

3 Likes

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Outside of the soda-replacements categories (Eg Meiomi, Caymus, White Zins, Yellow Tail), are what yā€™all are describing as garbage really that bad? Iā€™ve actually gone out of my way over the last few years to taste a lot of these so called ā€˜garbageā€™ wines and often blindfolded so I couldnā€™t even see them:

Caymus - It still has me confused on why it is popular. I want to know how they got people to accept paying that much for these recent vintages. Wonā€™t refuse a glass of it if it was offered and paid for by someone else.

Rombauer Chardonnay - it is way better than a lot of the other butter bomb Napa chards out there. I could easily tolerate a glass or two as a cocktail replacement.

The Prisoner - Itā€™s not too bad in the current iterations. I think it is decent but way overpriced and nothing dropping the price down to the 15-20 bottle range couldnā€™t fix. Much rather have it over Caymus. If I was at a steakhouse with a bad wine list, I would purchase this in a heart beat.

Sutter Home Cab/chard - Itā€™s better than Yellow Tail but below Barefoot. You get what you pay for. Canā€™t speak to the white zin, my partner hasnā€™t picked a bottle of that one up and forced me to do a blindfolded tasting.

Silver Oak - Not my style but seems to be well made. I will drink it over modern day Caymus any day.

Veuve - Iā€™ve never like their style and I find Yellow Label overpriced. But to each their own, at that price point Iā€™ll be buying Bollinger.

I bet if you had a guest show up and said they liked any of the above, Meiomi excluded, Iā€™d bet youā€™d be able to find something in your cellar that would go over well with them.

1 Like

I have never had Meiomi, and havenā€™t had a Sutter Ome in decades, so canā€™t speak to them.

Silver Oak and Camus are just fine. Not something I prefer, but not in the same hemisphere as ā€œgarbageā€.

Canā€™t say Iā€™m a fan of the little bit of Josh Iā€™ve had, but I donā€™t remember recoiling in horror at it or anything.

Chateauneuf-du-Pape? Are you serious? Chateauneuf-du-Pape is a damn good AOC producing serious wines.

1 Like

Maybe you havenā€™t had it recently.

2 Likes

You may be missing some context to understand the level of sarcasm in his post.

Oh, and [stirthepothal.gif]

1 Like

+1 on Prisoner

Basic Moet has also improved I think.

1 Like

And vice versa. [stirthepothal.gif]

2 Likes

ā€˜Joshā€™ is the pretext for ritual combat among the named, akin to Scot Highlander traditions

There is a secret sub clause: after drinking 1+ bottles of ā€˜Joshā€™, participants are allowed to battle, even if they do not have the official name.

Shades of the Hugh Johnson rating system lolā€¦ (I love this one ā€œ Two Sips: Faint interest - or disbelief ā€)

I do think we take ourselves too seriously sometimes. I agree with pretty much all of this post.

Also: I donā€™t see how Silver Oak got lumped in with NV industrial stuff. My better half and her girlfriends had a very nice visit there (they are not oenophiles/elites) and even brought me back a bottle of Twomey PN. Not that I drink it beyond occasionally, but always been pleased with it: big, oaky, steak friendly.

What Merrill said.

And thereā€™s a search function. Over the past decade or so there have been many threads disparaging this or that wine. In fact, probably half the wines on your list of faves are considered gross by someone else. And your list of ā€œgarbageā€ - Sutter Home and Josh are cheap labels found in supermarkets. Caymus was once a drinkable wine but itā€™s now a relatively expensive wine found in supermarkets. And since Meiomi is part of the family, you may as well list all of the family wines, unless you havenā€™t had them all.

1 Like

Hasnā€™t Meiomi been out of the family for some time?

Perhaps we can rename this thread topic to ā€œMass produced wines vs Artisan wines.ā€ Theyā€™re all wine and in order to help boost sales and interest in smaller producers, you also want the big commercial wines to have success as well. Many wine hobbyists (aka WBers) started their wine journey by having a glass of Meiomi, Prisoner, Sutter Home, etc.

The scale and distribution of these brands has allowed more people to drink wine, which is always a positive.

McDonalds doesnā€™t make the best hamburgers, nor are they the most natural. However people still eat them because theyā€™re in every city, inexpensive, and are consistent. No one calls them garbage and theyā€™re not ā€œflawed.ā€

2 Likes

Yes, it has. I believe the branding rights were the only thing that was sold, not the winemaking. So Meiomi post acquisition tastes very different than pre acquisition.