Garrafeira Nacional's Black Friday - 50% off in mature wines

I think it’s worth e-mailing them on that issue. It sounds like something they should be able to do.

1 Like

They will ship to the States. They don’t guarantee delivery however and prices for shipping are steep. Over 100 euro for 6 bottles.

Pity that their shipping is so expensive, had to pay €52 to get 12 bottles to the Netherlands, which is the most I’ve ever had to pay I think for shipment. If they sorted that, they would be able to serve a much larger market as their portfolio is fantastic.

I’m not sure how much of that is a GN problem or a Portugal problem. I have heard from Otto that the shipping costs from Portugal Vineyards (also an excellent selection, although more focused on recent releases) are more reasonable, but it could just be that shipping companies operating from here don’t make it any cheaper.

Portugal Vineyards also charge over 100 euros for 6 bottles to the States, so I do think it’s more of a Portugal problem. One company that makes it easy is Sogevinus (Kopke, Burmester, Barros, Calem) who’ll piggy back wines onto their own importation. Buy at their shops in Gaia and they’ll ship to the States for a reasonable cost.

1 Like

I’ve had wine shipped from Portugal both to NL and to Belgium from a number of different sources over the years, and, as a rule, the shipping costs were significantly lower. Trouble is, as far as I know, nobody else has anything even resembling the selection of rare, aged and otherwise-impossible-to-find wines that Garrafeira has.

What happens is that a lot of people who have cellars, or who inherit them, end up selling the contents to Garrafeira Nacional. Big service, well known, easy to find. When you’re a local you get to figure out similar deals in smaller shops or in auctions, but working from abroad, yes, GN should be your go to service. These discount campaigns have been terrific, because prices are usually not that good at GN. I got some 2000 Coelheiros Garrafeira for 38€ in a small Viana do Castelo shop, while GN carries the 2003 at 99€. I got 1987 Quinta do Carmo Garrafeira both at GN and from auction, the former for 70€, the latter for 40€. The list goes on.

Sure, but it sounds like you’re citing examples of individual bottles/deals found elsewhere. Any other place that comes close to a one-stop-shop like Garrafeira does, even if you’re based there?