Gary V. Again.

I saw that piece. Mostly the Constellation CEO did the talking but it was good to see GV and happy for all of them.

Yeah, I’m happy for him as well. He’s a likable guy, sticky personality; and super generous, especially at the off-lines we used to attend.

Doubtful that Gary will be involved much in the future. From the press release:

As part of the transaction, the Empathy Wines brand will be integrated into Constellation’s wine and spirits brand portfolio. Empathy Wines employees, including co-founders Jon and Nate, will join the Constellation Brands family and work together with its wine and spirits organization. Vaynerchuk will continue to assist Constellation Brands and Empathy Wines in a consulting capacity.

Good for Gary, he’s after all genuine. But a very quick sale, tho. Feels like it got started yesterday.

I won’t comment on purchase price or terms, but I think the video above, with Robert’s commentary towards the end, is at the crux of why this partnership makes sense. We are excited to continue building the Empathy brand - while also driving DTC omnichannel growth across their entire portfolio.

Right. What stops all of these higher-end but not quite as massive as Constellation brands from identifying the next Gary V? A counter of “…but there’s only one Gary V” misses the point. Gary V is just the latest example of younger consumers wanting less sales and more passion when buying a product. There’s a boatload of earnest, passionate and authentic presence-first “kids” on social media. Heck, they can hire a consultant who can help them pick and train their chosen dude/dudette how to pronounce d’Yquem.

The operational piece of such a venture is no small feat but the marketing part? I am confused about why others aren’t imitating this.

my guess is exactly that. Constellation comes in with a bag of money and he’s able to bring in a nice windfall for him and his partners after a short amount of time. That is the smart play imo

One thing with Gary is that he is always moving, and I think he gets a lot out of the “new car smell” of a venture. This frees him up for his next. Time is a finite thing, he can probably be involved as much or as little as he likes, and that creates time for the next thing. Plus Constellation brings a lot of synergies and advantages with economies of scale, Gary and his partners are making out well on this I’m sure, bottom-line and time-wise.

Empathy ads - at least the ones that target me - seem to prioritize the “glug glug” factor and “smoothness” of wines which lots of people (not WBers) judge as “quality.” I won’t make a quality judgement on a wine I haven’t tried, but from what little I know about winemaking, achieving those factors in wine is not the biggest challenge on the planet … and STZ has access to a lot of grapes. Constellation already has a lot of grocery store reach and wine shop reach … this helps them get more digital reach to compete with other brands heavily targeting millennials on social media like Bright Cellars, Winc, Naked Wines, etc.

I’m a real millennial (born 1986) - not a Gen Z’er that angry Gen X’ers call millennials for Tim Tok’ing - and this is at least my experience.

Constellation paid some $$$ for the current online DTC sales model Gary V created with that brand. As hinted before, Gary V probably put a lot of sweet equity into the project and gladly took some Millions of $ shortly after to let someone buy out the project. On to the next venture for Gary V. Sniffy sniff!!!

TROUTY!

Hope all is well, tell The Elf I said hello … [cheers.gif]

All threads on Gary V need to reference “sniffy sniff”

so, thanks for the reference. [wow.gif] [thankyou.gif]

FIFYA

If anyone could monetize that phrase it would be Gary!

I may be wrong here but I seemed to remember that GV was born in Belarus.

A somewhat mild takedown of Gary V and the “hustle culture”: Gary Vaynerchuk Is Hustling His Way Through a Pandemic | Marker

“He also sells $12,000 tickets to small day-long workshops at which he is guaranteed to appear for only one hour.”

I can’t imagine what my weekend trip with him to Napa was worth. [wow.gif]

My hourly rate is a smidge less lol

I’ll just look at our past drink ups with him as comp’d time well spent.

That was then, and given now I think he’s done things in social and marketing that few have done as well. I’ve seen lesser in credentials command more for time. God knows how many conferences I’ve sat through where I stare in wonder at the time I wasted and the cost. Net-worth being the weakest, relevance being the most prominent.

You need to resurrect your old avatar, the one taken at one of those past drink ups.

[cheers.gif]

That article was pretty hard to follow — there really wasn’t much of a thread. I think what GV is saying - and I fully agree - is that in an environment where everyone else is trying to work smart and not hard, that lane is very crowded, and you’re most likely not really creating much of value. If you’re willing to work hard - spend time doing things other people think are beneath them (like selling Hot Wheels on eBay) - there’s going to be a lot of room for you to make money. I agree.

1 Like