German and Austrian Reds

P.S. here I tasted the entry-level Spätburgunder of Stefan Steinmetz in autumn 2016 and David Schildknecht is coming in surprisingly.
DavidStefan.jpeg
The next morning we tasted together the Rieslings of Steinmetz at 8.30 in the morning. I had no breakfast! And it was one of the best tastings I have ever attended, as I was totally clean…no coffee or food which could spoil my impressions. And you see David using his dictaphone for the notes.
SDSP.jpeg

The “Green Room” at Stefan’s has had many a LOOOOONNNNGGG evening…I have been there a few times until 2 or 3 am, wondering where the time went…
David is quite the character, one of the best tasters I have ever met. Glad that you guys got to meet…
Zum wohl

Apparently, the Rings brothers declassified ALL '16 Spätburgunder GGs into the village level wines…they did so to maintain integrity, that only wines that are truly outstanding outstanding warrant being called Grand cru. This is a bold and costly move, that should see the village level wines over perform to a wild degree, I would imagine. I will taste in October to find out for myself…

tasted through at Rings with sis Simone in Freinsheim back in March; very lovely Spätburgunder at a number of different levels

one thing that needs to be said, is that Austrian and German reds have very little if anything in common.

at its best, German Spätburgunder has the virtue of being Old World and Unburgundian at the same time (possible excepx the late Herr Bernard Huber)
Austrian Blauburgunder is quite often tagged instead Pinot Noir, and way, way too often Californiacated in terms of style…

on the other hand, the boys in Burgenland (and a couple growers in Carnuntum) work with a variety called Blaufränkisch
which when done well is a worthy bedfellow to top-level Burgundy and Piedmont reds

couple years back in Düsseldorf i had dinner at a table for six with Angelo Gaja, Dorli Muhr, Willi Klinger and a couple Dutch merchants.
Dorli showed her 2010 Muhr-van der Niepoort Blaufränkisch Spitzerberg, and the progression from that wine to Gaja’s 2004 Sperrs was totally seamless

and then there is Sankt Laurent, better known as Pinot Noir’s kinky cousin…

I found some of the Moric wines locally, both the normal bottling and the Reserve… Does well made Blaufrankisch benefit from additional bottle age?

Second!

Also try to find Weingut Bernhard Huber Spatburgunder his single vineyards can get up there.

Greg has already summed up a fine selection, so I will only add some other names.
(… but I have no idea if/what´s available in the US - and at which prices …)

Nittnaus has a few bottlings, of various qualities

Attention, there are at least 3 different Nittnaus:
Nittnaus Hans und Anita
Weingut Hans & Christine Nittnaus
Weinbau Bernd Nittnaus

The 1st is the best, the 2nd is also ok, while I haven´t very much tasted from Bernd N.

Pöckl - from the standard Zweigelt and Pinot noir to Admiral (blend), Reve de Jeunesse and Mystique (very rare) excellent
Claus Preisinger
Paul Achs (Zweigelt Alte Reben!)
Gernot Heinrich (Salzberg was the best Austrian red in 2000) - but there are several Heinrichs (!)
Günther Schönberger (Herbstcuvée, Blaufränkisch Kräften + Lehmgrube …)
Niki Windisch
Erich Scheiblhofer
Weingut Kollwentz
Albert Gesellmann (Bela Rex, Opus Eximium)
Kerschbaum
Feiler-Artinger
Weingut Iby
Christian Tschida
Glatzer (Zweigel Dornenvogel, not great, but always a very enjoyable drink, 13.50 at the winery)

AND
Cuvee Batonnage (maybe Austrias most rare and expensive red wine, can compete with the best (modern) Bordeaux), made by
Club Batonnage (The Wild Boys - five wine-makers, led by Erich Scheibelhofer)

… and there are many others …

Greg and Gerhard did a fine job in summarizing notable Austrian reds. Thank you.

I would like to add one of mine personal favourites which is Hannes Reeh and his Zweigelt Unplugged.

Also another word of caution. If you visit the Carnuntum region you will realize that there are 4! different Markowitsch with a wide range of quality level.

Watch out for the Thermenregion. Their Pinots are getting better with every year!