German Dornfelder...what is this bottle???

Of course.

I see you’re the guy who drinks a Ch. Mouton for dinner and use a bottle of Ch. Mouton for cooking. hahaha

Stay healthy!

Belatedly, I wanted to add a little Dornfelder story from this year’s harvest. As I take bit of fruit from Mokelumne Glen Vineyard (who specialize in only German and Austrian varieties), the vineyard owner Brett let me try some of his later harvest Dornfelder he’d made the year before from the surplus fruit. I’ve spoken about how impenetrably dark Dornfelder is - it’s almost otherworldly - like one of those totally black paints that seem to absorb the universe. But what surprised me is how pleasant the wine was - it was very soft and engaging and velvety somehow. Big, but feminine. And appreciate how softly he’d made it - I would have gone for much more acid, but not sure at all it would have been as inviting or as good if I did.

Most of fruit it goes to one producer, but I’ll see if I can get my hand on a small amount to do an experimental batch on this year. An intriguing grape - I can see it reach some great potential with the right winemaking approach.

1 Like