Gilman's new issue - essay on serving wine

+1

Always an interesting discussion. I happen to be a decanter (often a double decant). But I would ask the reverse question. Give some examples of wines that have been hurt by decanting (not just given too much air, but the act of pouring into another vessel), and explain why this occurs. There are a substantial number of excellent wine people who are opposed to decanting because they feel it diminishes the wine (If I get this straight they feel that it can suppress the nose and impact some of the more delicate and subtle aspects of the wine.) This includes most Burgundians, and a number of Piedmont winemakers. Personally I don’t really understand it and haven’t experienced it (although I’m not sure how I would be able to tell in some controlled manner). I am open minded, however, and despite having 40 or so years of experience, willing to consider that I’m wrong.

Confirmation bias?

Agree with the camp that favors “pour small sniff/taste first, then strategize.”

Agree with both. Much of the fun in wine tasting is seeing the evolution of the wine in the glass over time. That being said, I will decant if:

1. I expect it’ll take hours to start opening (e.g. young nebbiolo)
  2. If going to a blind tasting or wine dinner where I don’t have hours to focus on a single wine

But seriously, I decant lots of reds. First step is hold the bottle horizontal up to a bright light to check sediment. If there’s sediment, it’s decant time . This applies mainly to young wines, any older red with a reputation for sediment gets a decant.

i decant all still wines, almost

gilman also prefers flutes for champagne.

so… ?

I rarely decant, but more for practical reasons. I get home from work (well, whenever that happens again) about 20 minutes before dinner, which is, on a good day, a 20 minute affair. So what’s the point? I’ll usually pour another glass at the end of dinner and I can follow that a bit once the kids are in bed.

Even if I’m going to a dinner the best I can do is a short double decant in the morning (or overnight but that’s a bit risky) before taking my bottle to work.

need to give this a hefty cosign, especially the last part. i have found extended decanting to lock up red burgundy more often than not.

Well, I know that I dislike Gilman’s view of “amateur,” …sometimes I decant. Sometimes I do not.

This actually could start a new thread about condescending attitudes…in the industry, with winemakers, retailers, reviewers, wine geeks, sommeliers, etc. But I will not go there…

Cheers,
JP

I have found this to be true only with mugnier’s chambolles.

I don’t have a TON of experience with old wines, but I have had a couple of times with oldish to old Nebbiolo where I opened it, and the first initial whiffs from the bottle are BEAUTIFUL. then for some reason even with a ton of airtime (8+ hours) it just never gets back to that initial whiff. the same thing happens when im pouring them into the decanter. anyone else ever experience this?

Yes. Old Nebbiolo can be fickle.

I decant older Burgs to get them off their sediment.

I decant younger Burgs to aerate.

I rarely decant whites and have never decanted Champagne.

I don’t know what is right but that has worked for me.

I would love to hear more thoughts on decanting older Nebbiolo (1975, 1985). I have a bias for a longer decant for most wines, but feel out of my depth with some of these older, potentially more fragile wines.

What do you mean by old or oldish? I’ve never experienced that with nebbiolo from the 50’s, 60’s or 70’s. Those are almost always much better with a ton of air, though not always decanted. Old nebbiolo is the exception to most rules. What I’d consider on the young side - say 90,s on - then yes, those definitely shut down so I do not decant them.

For me too.

Plus I hate straining good wine through my teeth to get rid of sediment.

I tend to decant more often than not, but I’ve found I’m decanting white burgundy more than anything else these days. Especially for producers who use reduction (which, as Grandpa Simpson would say, was the style at the time), more air helps.

When most of us talk about decanting we’re not talking about decanting, then locking up somewhere for 6 hours. We’re talking about decanting, and then doing what you would do with a non-decanted bottle. checking now and then, drinking slowly. perhaps serving at dinner an hour or two or three later. The only time where I see extended decanting locking up a wine being a problem is the situation where someone brings a wine to dinner that they decanted 8 hours ahead of time…

the two most notable ones were an 82 produttori normale and a 99 Giacosa Barbaresco. both of them I opened, smelled (didn’t taste) double decanted back into bottle about 3-4 hours later, and then started drinking about 1-2 hours after that (over a couple hours).