Giulia Negri - new generation Piedmont

Otto,

She is traditional in her Nebbiolo winemaking. Claudio Fennochio is an important mentor, she uses botti and extended (if I remember, up to 60 days) maceration. She has recently purchased new botti, which by necessity, she used for her Barolo. I think that is the source of any oakiness.

Tom

Ok, sounds like she has changed that part of the style, contrary to some sources that I managed to Google - maybe they had just old information? Some said that the Barolos were aged in barrels, other mentioned partly barrels and partly botti.

The slightly older vintages I had tasted were aged in partly new and partly used 500-liter oak barrels and according to the local importer she had no bottis back then. The barrels weren’t barrique-sized, but the wood definitely showed all the same. Also, she seems to have upped the maceration game as well, apparently.

Otto,

I was at the winery in May, so I am confident of my information. I saw the botti, and we discussed her having to use them new.

Tom

Intriguing. It’s available for $42 at Kermit Lynch.

Yes, I never doubted your information, just wondered if the information importers have is outdated.

Anyways, it’s good to know, since the wines have always shown promise, but in a style I’m not that keen on. I’m happy to hear if she has been moving into a more traditionalist direction.

Otto,

It was my third visit over three years. Each year her wines have improved as she gains more experience. I think she is winemaker to follow as she continues to evolve.

Good to know.

Her Baroli didn’t show that much evolution style-wise between 2007 and 2010, but I guess that was just too early in her career. I’ll happily sample her more recent vintages if given the chance.

Anyone try her 2016 SVDs? At the time of trying the '13 I had planned to buy the '16. But the prices have gone up a bit vs what I paid for the '13. I paid $60 for the '13. Kermit Lynch trying to move the Serradenari over $100, and now I see the bottles languishing for $85. Figure my access to '16 will be similar, ~$85. Even at $85 I don’t see great value versus other wines in that price range (even for '16s), but I did like the wines.

Any insights on the Serradenari vineyard? I have to admit this is a bit of a new one for me, although I think I’ve actually walked the vineyard before without realizing it. (A colleague of mine owns Dosio, which appears to sit on this vineyard also). Is it a new Cru vineyard created? or just one that doesn’t get a lot of notice?

No it’s not new. I believe it is the highest Cru in the D.O.C.G, located east of La Serra in the commune of La Morra. It reaches up to 536 Meters at its highest point with the 540 Meters being the highest allowable altitude. My guess is that ripening had been an issue at such an altitude at one time which is probably why we didn’t hear much about it. Climate change has probably made that not as difficult nowadays.