Glyphosate in California wines

…and then there’s this study which instead of 30 days to 3 months test the animals for 2 years

The health effects of a Roundup-tolerant NK603 genetically modified (GM) maize (from 11% in the diet), cultivated with or without Roundup application and Roundup alone (from 0.1 ppb of the full pesticide containing glyphosate and adjuvants) in drinking water, were evaluated for 2 years in rats. This study constitutes a follow-up investigation of a 90-day feeding study conducted by Monsanto in order to obtain commercial release of this GMO, employing the same rat strain and analyzing biochemical parameters on the same number of animals per group as our investigation. Our research represents the first chronic study on these substances, in which all observations including tumors are reported chronologically. Thus, it was not designed as a carcinogenicity study. We report the major findings with 34 organs observed and 56 parameters analyzed at 11 time points for most organs.
Results

Biochemical analyses confirmed very significant chronic kidney deficiencies, for all treatments and both sexes; 76% of the altered parameters were kidney-related. In treated males, liver congestions and necrosis were 2.5 to 5.5 times higher. Marked and severe nephropathies were also generally 1.3 to 2.3 times greater. In females, all treatment groups showed a two- to threefold increase in mortality, and deaths were earlier. This difference was also evident in three male groups fed with GM maize. All results were hormone- and sex-dependent, and the pathological profiles were comparable. Females developed large mammary tumors more frequently and before controls; the pituitary was the second most disabled organ; the sex hormonal balance was modified by consumption of GM maize and Roundup treatments. Males presented up to four times more large palpable tumors starting 600 days earlier than in the control group, in which only one tumor was noted. These results may be explained by not only the non-linear endocrine-disrupting effects of Roundup but also by the overexpression of the EPSPS transgene or other mutational effects in the GM maize and their metabolic consequences.

or this

Sexual differentiation in the brain takes place from late gestation to the early postnatal days. This is dependent on the conversion of circulating testosterone into estradiol by the enzyme aromatase. The glyphosate was shown to alter aromatase activity and decrease serum testosterone concentrations. Thus, the aim of this study was to investigate the effect of gestational maternal glyphosate exposure (50 mg/kg, NOAEL for reproductive toxicity) on the reproductive development of male offspring. Sixty-day-old male rat offspring were evaluated for sexual behavior and partner preference; serum testosterone concentrations, estradiol, FSH and LH; the mRNA and protein content of LH and FSH; sperm production and the morphology of the seminiferous epithelium; and the weight of the testes, epididymis and seminal vesicles. The growth, the weight and age at puberty of the animals were also recorded to evaluate the effect of the treatment. The most important findings were increases in sexual partner preference scores and the latency time to the first mount; testosterone and estradiol serum concentrations; the mRNA expression and protein content in the pituitary gland and the serum concentration of LH; sperm production and reserves; and the height of the germinal epithelium of seminiferous tubules. We also observed an early onset of puberty but no effect on the body growth in these animals. These results suggest that maternal exposure to glyphosate disturbed the masculinization process and promoted behavioral changes and histological and endocrine problems in reproductive parameters. These changes associated with the hypersecretion of androgens increased gonadal activity and sperm production.

or this one… A long-term study on female mice fed on a genetically modified soybean: effects on liver ageing - PubMed

A long-term study on female mice fed on a genetically modified soybean: effects on liver ageing.
Malatesta M1, Boraldi F, Annovi G, Baldelli B, Battistelli S, Biggiogera M, Quaglino D.
Author information
Abstract

Liver represents a suitable model for monitoring the effects of a diet, due to its key role in controlling the whole metabolism. Although no direct evidence has been reported so far that genetically modified (GM) food may affect health, previous studies on hepatocytes from young female mice fed on GM soybean demonstrated nuclear modifications involving transcription and splicing pathways. In this study, the effects of this diet were studied on liver of old female mice in order to elucidate possible interference with ageing. The morpho-functional characteristics of the liver of 24-month-old mice, fed from weaning on control or GM soybean, were investigated by combining a proteomic approach with ultrastructural, morphometrical and immunoelectron microscopical analyses. Several proteins belonging to hepatocyte metabolism, stress response, calcium signalling and mitochondria were differentially expressed in GM-fed mice, indicating a more marked expression of senescence markers in comparison to controls. Moreover, hepatocytes of GM-fed mice showed mitochondrial and nuclear modifications indicative of reduced metabolic rate. This study demonstrates that GM soybean intake can influence some liver features during ageing and, although the mechanisms remain unknown, underlines the importance to investigate the long-term consequences of GM-diets and the potential synergistic effects with ageing, xenobiotics and/or stress conditions.

Citing the the Séralini paper - probably one of the most discredited papers in scientific history - isn’t a good idea. He used a rat strain prone to tumours and didn’t have enough rats to have any statistical certainty because he tried to test too many different diets at once. This came up with some pretty hilarious results: basically the results look like if you’re a male rat you should drink glyphosate at a 0,5% concentration rather than pure, uncontaminated water in order to live longer. :smiley: There’s even a whole wikipedia article on the paper since it was so badly done and so widely discredited: Séralini affair - Wikipedia

I prefer to make my opinions based on the best science available and meta-analyses rather than the very worst and most criticised studies done on the topic. Séralini cannot be trusted ever.

He used the same strain of rats and numbers that Monsanto used in their study to established safety,

This study constitutes a follow-up investigation of a 90-day feeding study conducted by Monsanto in order to obtain commercial release of this GMO, employing the same rat strain and analyzing biochemical parameters on the same number of animals per group as our investigation.

Also, needles to say that he has won in court all the libel cases against him.

Once you go against industry they will discredit you and bury you.

Did Monsanto’s study last as long? If so, then it is not a type of rat that should have been used. But 2 year studies aren’t usually done so I’m guessing Monsanto’s study was shorter? Do you have a link to which of Monsanto’s studies you mean?

But that’s actually pretty irrelevant considering that the scientific consensus (not only Monsanto’s but independent) is that there’s nothing to be afraid of. It’s not a health risk. Also, science is not decided in courts. He may have won in the court but everyone in relevant fields of science consider him a fraud.

From Seralini: “In conclusion, the consumption of NK603 GM maize with or without R application or R alone gave similar pathologies in male and female rats fed over a 2-year period.”

_

Leo, how do you approach your corn and soy consumption? I admit to being too lazy to check each source.

Also, do you drink California wine? I admit to being too lazy to check.

How do you navigate all this?

Otto,
I can see you are at it again on glyphosate…
It would be good if you would disclose any conflict of interest.
I find outrageous and actually undermining your credibility the fact you post the comparison of alcohol and Glyphosate… This is so unscientific…

I think people should be free to decide and as you compare it to alcohol let’s do the same thing … so let’s bring its concentration on the label … the Customer will decide

Wine I drink indiscriminately as I have no choice and I do love Californian wines especially with some age on it, rest of pesticide laden things I try to avoid as much as I can. Never been a fan of corn or soy and prefer my veggies and grains organic. I use local butcher (I live in Walla Walla) who only has grass fed and finished meats and organic free range pigs and chickens. I own few acres and this summer I will plant veggies, I have fruit trees that have good yields.

My wife is from Iowa and her parents own a a 160 acres GMO soy and corn farm, the amount of chemicals that is constantly sprayed there is insane and everybody who I know there has some kind of gastrointestinal problems and majority of population is either overweight or obese. Livestock is confined into small lots, pigs or chicken never see a dayligh, loaded with antibiotics and sad looking.

Here in Walla Walla, due to being a desert, not much spraying and main crop is Wheat which dries naturally so it doesn’t need to be desicated with glyphosate. Livestock is outside on irrigated land, eating what is meant to eat. One hardly sees somebody here who’s obese or overweight and older people are very healthy.

Even if I was wrong with my assasment about pesticide and GMO, I prefer the humane way of living and raising livestock.

Oh stop it. You know perfectly well from our last discussion that I am not in any related field (I run an antiquarian bookshop, sometimes do paid work related to insect and arachnid keeping and sometimes do work on Near East archaeology, for those I haven’t discussed this with before). The comparison is not unscientific: alcohol is a known carcinogen; whereas glyphosate is probably not. At least it isn’t according to all but one (once again highly criticized) meta-analysis. My only interest here is that I prefer good science to bad.

We do similar. It’s easy to be a localvore here.

We generally eat “Jain style” but probably once a week have red meat (like you, local producers make life great.) Still, my belly is too pronounced!!! pileon For me, it comes from getting home from work, making dinner, then eating and feeling too tired to be active after that. It’s the eating at night that does it, damn it!

Thanks for your reply.

France takes Roundup weed-killer off market after court ruling https://news.yahoo.com/france-takes-roundup-weed-killer-off-market-court-180112234.html

Lyon (AFP) - French authorities on Tuesday banned the sale of a form of controversial weed-killer Roundup following a court ruling that regulators failed to take safety concerns into account when clearing the widely used herbicide.

Roundup, owned by Germany’s Bayer after its purchase of US agro-giant Monsanto last year, contains glyphosate which environmentalists and other critics have long believed causes cancer.

The French food and environmental safety agency ANSES said in a statement that sales of Roundup Pro 360 were banned as of Tuesday following a court ruling earlier in the day.

“As the ruling took effect immediately, market approval for Roundup Pro 360 has been cancelled,” ANSES said in a statement to AFP.

“The sale, distribution and use of Roundup Pro 360 are forbidden as of today.”

An administrative tribunal in Lyon, southeast France, ruled that ANSES should have given more weight to potential safety risks when authorising the use of Roundup Pro 360 in March 2017.

ANSES said it was “examining (the ruling) closely”.

Environmental activists hailed the ruling, noting a 2015 study by a World Health Organization (WHO) agency which concluded that glyphosate was “probably carcinogenic”.

“It’s a major ruling because it should eventually cover all versions of Roundup, as the court determined that all products with glyphosate are probably carcinogens,” said Corinne Lepage, a lawyer for the CRIIGEN genetics research institute.

The European Union renewed its authorisation of glyphosate for five years in November 2017, but President Emmanuel Macron has vowed to outlaw its use in France by 2021.

In August, a California court ordered Bayer to pay $78 million to a groundskeeper with terminal cancer who claimed he had not been adequately informed of the alleged health risks.

The company is appealing the ruling, saying scientific studies have proven glyphosate’s safety.

Glyphosate is used in weed-killers made by several companies, and is currently the most used herbicide around the world.