Good, well-priced 'transitional' Chardonnay for the Rombauer crowd?

I was served my first Rombauer in memory at a charity event about six weeks ago and I found the wine extremely disgusting and undrinkable. But some others at the table seemed to find it at least drinkable, perhaps more.* The following week, at a restaurant in St. Helena, I was amazed to see the table next to us treating a bottle as a prized possession that was brought in specially for the dinner. Since you apparently feel the way I do, Todd, maybe the way to go is a 375 ml bottle for her and 375 ml bottle of something else for you; I really can’t imagine a middle ground. [cheers.gif]

*The charity event included auctions of dinners – auctions of Harlan and SQN dinners went for way, way more than the auction of dinner with a vertical of Dujac Romanée-Saint-Vivant. Different strokes.

A friend that works for The Wine Group told me that their Cupcake Chardonnay is ‘specifically made to taste like Rombauer, for $10/bottle’… I cannot attest to that, but Costco sells it by the pallet, might be worth a shot.

Benziger San Giacomo? WL has it for $14 a pop. I like San Giacomo fruit and it seems to fit the description.

Ironically, Jen received a twin-pack of Cupcake for her birthday (from another Rombauer-loving friend, of course). Perhaps we’ll try it, but if it is made to taste like Rombauer, it’s all her…

2010 Raymond Vineyards Chardonnay.

had it on Sunday, better than Rombauer. sounds like what you’re looking for Todd.

retail: $20.

Our local Costco has a Fess Parker chard that would be just right for you two, and it’s $13.00

Another vote for Raymond. Also there’s Butternut - super vanilla-ish and buttery for $16, and Logan by Talbott for the same price.

I started the same thread a couple of years ago…for the same reason as you Todd. What are some good, but cheaper alternatives to Rombauer Chard in the same style? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

We eventually found Scott Family Estate Chardonnay Dijon Clone fit the bill nicely. It’s $13 at Costco, though I haven’t seen it there in the last couple of months and I’m wondering if they sold out the 2010 vintage.

There’s also this thread discussing Rombauer’s success at branding with respect to its Chardonnay: How did Rombauer brand themselves so well? - Wine Pimps - WineBerserkers

What about Foxglove? $10 or so and it’s very drinkable.

Sometimes those friend and family treasury sales has the Beringer Private Reserve for $15…

I think many of you continue to miss the point of Todd’s original post. He’s not looking for a cheaper Rombaeur substitute, he’s looking for an inexpensive wine that will somewhat split the difference between what he prefers (acidity, crispness and complexity) and what his wife prefers (Rombauer-style richness, oak, buttered popcorn, etc.).

Second suggestion of La Crema. BTW, I am thinking of serving Ferrari-Carano Chardonnay at a tasting next to an unoaked Lioco Sonoma Coast Chardonnay for a comparison of oaked and unoaked Chards. I liked the Ferrari-Carano Emilia Cuvee Chard which was lightly oaked but I’m not sure they bottle that designation any longer.

Maybe Merryvale Starmont? Seems to fit the flavor profile and price point.

Karen

Worth a shot but with no oak and no malo …

J

St. Michelle Indian Wells might be worth a try.

Michael Pozzan RRV Chard. Cheap, its seen some oak, and has a bit of acid. Also, the Rustenberg stellenbosch. Their entry Chard is really nice, and while it shows oak; there are a lot of other nuances for the money.

I took a bottle of Fess Parker Chard to my cousin’s house this weekend because she likes buttery. I only took a small sip, and it was buttery, but did not seem overly oaky. Not sure it has the acid profile you are looking for, though.

Todd, you already know the answer, and you have drank it in the past according to your notes… Lafond SRH Chardonnay. If you are a member it’s like $15/bottle. Plenty of acidity, but the full malolactic fermentation brings the butter, and adds the mouthfeel Rombauer people are looking for.

Howard

Howard - I haven’t had Lafond in years…interesting recommendation. I’ll see if I can get some more.

Is he married again?

I am still wondering what is wrong with Cougars and panty-dropping, but if you must … I would seek other Cali examples but those which are starting to edge away from the pure butter and oak mold. Montelena? Hanzell? Talbott? Or what the heck, thay are OTT but the other approach is Kistler or Aubert. Lots of oak for those who like it but also a lot of minerality and depth? Not really my style, but even I can warm up to a Kistler (mmm, Vine Hill) with some age and in the right setting.

I guess? I am going on memory here. Not a lot of CaliChard for me. My wife gets her jollies out on great German Riesling, and that is the one area where are very much in alignment. (Although she is coming around to Piedmont too and some Brunello.)

Todd, just call the winery or check the website. They have a standard $10 shipping policy. That is if you can’t find any at winex.com.