Graphite and salinity: Experimental results added

Why?

The smell of the ocean is absolutely related to salt: the physical action of the ocean on shorelines produces droplets of seawater, much of which evaporates leaving salt nano-particles in the air. Of course the ocean smell is not only salt - plenty of other impurities contribute - but there is salt in sea air.

And I’m with the other commenters here that there is a difference between pure cedar, and what I too would call ‘graphite’ that I specifically associate with pencil shavings. Cedar is an element in the smell, but whether it is is the graphite itself (presumably tiny amounts are aerosolized through friction) or perhaps the clay binding agent used to form the graphite rods, the smell I’m thinking of is like cedar with a metallic note.

I think “graphite” is a useful descriptor just because I know exactly what people are referring to when they use it (esp. in the context of a chinon).

For myself, I usually hedge my bets by using the term “pencil shavings.” When I empty my daughter’s electric pencil sharpener, the smell of the debris is precisely what I pick up in many Loire Cab francs. Who knows if that smell comes from the graphite, the wood, or some odd combination of both.

I think the kind of linguistic absolutism lurking behind your post is silly. If we have repurposed “graphite” to refer to a particular vinous scent, it hardly matters what “graphite” smells or doesn’t smell like in the real, non-wine related world.

Uh… because I dislike bullshit.

I also take salinity as sea air (as a combination of sea air and salty). As an aside, aromatics in tasting wine includes ‘inner mouth perfume’, so I’m willing to extend ‘sea air’ to the entire tasting experience, not just what I smell prior to sipping.

The air at/near the ocean definitely has salt in it. Ask anyone that’s gardened (or tried to) near a coast. I’m assuming you can smell the salt, tho I haven’t seen (or looked) for a studies to confirm this. Imo, this isn’t hugely important since, when you like one salt over another, what you’re preferring generally is the various non-salt components (that have come from ex or current ocean/sea source).

This discussion does remind me of minerality…minerality, imo, is just a tasting descriptor. It’s completely fine (imo) for minerality in wine to have a completely different chemical basis in wine as it does in mineral water. If the tasting experiences have some commonality, that’s enough for me and communicates something useful about a wine. The whole ‘do minerals come from the soil into the grapes and hence into the wine’ discussion was interesting, but ultimately beside the point. Wine has earthy qualities, but no one has a bee in their bonnet about whether earth/dirt went up the roots and into the grapes and then into the wine. Or if there are cherries in the soil that make their way into the grapes and wine. Sorry, I guess that turned into rant :slight_smile:.

OK. That’s cedar. And that’s sometimes what people are referring to. So you’re not hedging your bets by saying pencil shavings. You’re correctly describing a familiar smell. When critics use graphite, I don’t know if they mean cedar/pencil shavings/cigar box or something else.

It matters if we want wine writers to be able to communicate in English and not some sort of secret language of twins understood only by people in the club.

If you read the critics’ notes, the salinity is never mentioned in the aromas. It’s always further in the review, describing a taste or sense on the finish.

That’s why I made the ‘inner mouth perfume’ comment…i.e. a lot of what we think of as taste are aromatics from the wine inside our mouth.

Nonsense. We repurpose words all the time. That’s how language evolves. A lingua franca for wine drinkers evolves precisely from the willingness to allow words to float somewhat free from their original meanings (“masculine” vs “feminine” anyone?)

Yes, if it had been repurposed in a consistent way that we could understand, I’d be fine with it. Words’ meanings shift and expand. I’m not an absolutist. (I loved Sarah Kirschbaum’s evocative Vajra note, for instance.) I’m just anti-blather and I oppose the school of wine criticism which equates the profundity of a tasting note with the number of adjectives that are piled on.

It’s like the recent thread on dry extract, where someone posted to say (in effect), “Well, I know what I meant when I use dry extract to describe a wine.” No! Dry extract is a technical lab concept. I don’t care if you’ve got your own private meaning. Cf. L. Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations, p. 1 et seq.

“Masculine” and “feminine” are effective words in wine writing precisely because the way they’re used is 100% consistent with their ordinary meanings.

Absolutely, words evolve. But metaphorical terms like that are quite different from literal descriptors like salt or cedar or black currants. Communication and language cease is I say, “black currants for me means what you call buttered popcorn.” Black is the new white.

100% consistent? Such an odd thing to say. We understand that Chambolle is feminine but Gevrey is masculine not because we refer them back to masculinity or femininity in humans but because we compare those kinds of wines to each other. Give a new wine drinker a Chambolle and explain to them that the wine is “feminine”. They wouldn’t have a damn clue what you’re talking about even though they are well aware of the usual meanings of that word. They have to learn how that word has been repurposed in wine writing. Same with Barolo/Barbaresco. Stick a glass of each in front of the new nebbiolo drinker and they wouldn’t have a clue what you’re referring to when you call one masculine and the other feminine. Only when they are put in polar opposition to each other and have explained to them how we use those terms in wine would they have a sense of what you’re talking about.

1 Like

The one time I got a clearly saline note from a red was from a barrel sample of a first fill Taransaud T5 barrel. To this day it’s one of the most impactful barrels I’ve encountered, I almost choked at the intensity of flavor.

Yes, I see what you are saying. But communication hasn’t ceased when someone uses the term graphite or lead pencil. We all know exactly what they mean. So that’s why I’m fine when someone uses it. (and anyway, aren’t most pencil cores made of a combo of graphite and clay depending on their hardness? Is the clay also odor free?)

No, that’s not true. Describing a wine as feminine conveys meaning even if there is no masculine point of comparison. I don’t think you’ll find anyone who has trouble getting the meaning, only people pretending to have trouble for ideological reasons. But even if there were truth in what you’re saying, it would be just as true of the two terms in their ordinary English sense. If you were tasked with explaining the difference between men and women to some kind of unisex alien race, you’d have a lot better luck giving them an actual man and an actual woman to do their probing on than you would with just one or the other.

Pretending that femininity describes the exact same things in wine as is does with respect to people is also ideologically freighted, as is the idea that a feminine wine would be a self evident thing to your average punter on the street.

So perhaps we should leave it there, since there’s no point carrying on an essentialist/post-structuralist argument about language under the cover of a wine discussion.

Yep - like I said, everyone gets the meaning, but some people pretend not to for ideological reasons.

Well it does. But its likely not be the “sodium chloride” you actually perceive. What difference does it make though? The taste and aroma of fleur de sel can be triggered by numerous wines (and has for me). Saying it has salinity or is reminiscent of the ocean is in general terms, fairly comparable. A lot of these sensory memories all go hand in hand.