Great Article on Glassware in Latest Kermit Lynch Newsletter

I use a clean, old-fashioned cloth diaper to dry glasses. Works like a charm.

Exactly, that’s why I smell the wine glass at a restaurant before I pour wine into it. Warm water will rinse away what I refer to as “cabinet stink.”

Like Rasoul, I’ve heard it called “seasoning” the glasses. Do it when I open almost anything. Pour about a thimble full into a glass, swirl it around with the glass on its side making sure ti cover all the inside surface of the glass, move to the next glass, repeat, etc. until all glasses are done. Then pour out the thimble full of wine. I also do it with decanters.

I have some Oregon Pinot Riedels that impart a soapy smell every time I use them. And I know there is no possible way for there to be soap residue left in them. For some reason it only affects these particular glasses. Others stored in the same cupboard are fine.

Always, no matter where I’m at. Amazing how much soap residue remains in the glass, affecting smell and taste. I was at a fancy restaurant on Friday night, on a whim, so my wife and I sat at the wine bar for the dinner. I watched one of the employees hand dry literally dozens of wine glasses using the same haggard, moist looking towel. Exactly why I usually pour some bottled water in the glass, swirl it and drink it. I’m past the point of caring what people think of me. [wow.gif]

This part from Lynch’s article surprised me: “The… [tainted] glasses were all stored in an old wooden armoire which had countless times over the years been treated with pesticides…”

Who does that? Is that something they do in Europe, apply pesticide to furniture? I made custom furniture for twenty-five years and never heard of it; it’s certainly not common practice here in the States.