Greater Boston

Interesting dumpling lawsuit going on involving Dumpling Daughter:

Thatā€™s how I discovered it. Might need to try take out one day soon.

Monster news:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2015/12/16/city-councilors-expected-vote-whether-allow-byob-boston-wednesday-meeting/Z67ofdLZZGmFngfogJiRKP/story.html?p1=feature_stack_2_hp#comments

(BYOB legalized in Boston for restaurants <30 seats located in outlying neighborhoods that donā€™t have a liquor license)

Still canā€™t think of one that this would apply to. That being said, itā€™s a start and maybe open doors for elswhere in/around the city

ā€œBOSTON, YOU CAN BYOB NOW. HEREā€™S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW.ā€

GAME CHANGER!
BYOB coming to the city of Boston!

That 30 seat rule if it stays will be better than now but just a start.

Unfortunately, there are probably not a lot of fine dining restaurants that have only 30 seats in the outlying neighborhoods. Small, ethnic restaurants sure, but places you want to bring a some very nice bottles of wine?

Itā€™s a pity these city councilors couldnā€™t research a place like Philly, where BYOB has had a massively positive impact on the restaurant business, before make up rules off the tops of their heads.

Even in Philly, where this has been going on a long time, there are not a lot of great BYOB restaurants in the <30 seat category. Although there are some, such as Top Chef Nick Elmiā€™s 22-seat Laurel (several month waiting list for reservations) and 28-seat Bibou (which Robert Parker called the best French bistro outside of France).

Going to Troquet for the first time since moving back to Boston on Saturdayā€¦ Any recs from the current wine list? Is it still as good as it used to be?

Last few times, I havenā€™t ordered off the list :wink: but there is always a find or two.

Did you enjoy ?

So how was it?

Sorry Ron, didnā€™t see your question. Unfortunately, my friends canceled on me.

I see Troquetā€™s summer wine sale is going on. If anyone wants to hit it up, let me knowā€¦

There was some earlier mention in this thread about Dumpling Daughter, a modern-Asian BYOB in Weston MA. I am organizing an offline there on Saturday October 1, 2016:

According to the May and June minutes of the Watertown MA Licensing Board, two restaurants have been APPROVED FOR BYOB.

champagne.gif

Farmerā€™s Market Kitchen
222 Arsenal St
Watertown, MA 02472
(617) 393-0201
http://www.fmkcatering.com
~Iā€™ve never been in there, but is very close to where I work and Iā€™ll have to stop in and see whatā€™s up. Itā€™s been a lunch takeout and catering spot so far, but theyā€™ve apparently been wanting to do sit down dinners. Chef/owner sounds potentially promising:

Jasmine Taste of Persia
580 Mount Auburn St
Watertown, MA 02472
(617) 923-2999
http://www.jasminewatertown.com
~Never been here either, so canā€™t comment on how good it is, but it sounds like the usual small ethnic hole-in-the-wall sort of place.

Hi All,

Iā€™ve taken it upon myself to update the mailing list for Ron Kramerā€™s Boston-area offline group, adding in some new friends and WineBerserkers who were not on the previous list. After a fun get together last night at Dumpling Daughter in Weston MA, weā€™d like to keep the ball rolling. Steve Curry has volunteers to organize a Sine Qua Non dinner in the near future, which is something weā€™ve been trying to do for a long time. Stay tuned (the pressure is on Steve!)ā€¦

So if you would like to be included on the mailing list for upcoming offlines, please send me an email with your full name and email address (will not be posted online, but will be visible to the other email list members when emails are sent out).

Iā€™m sure we will also try to post announcements on WineBerserkers as well, but it would be nice not to have to duplicate post every update by having a consolidated email list.

grouphug

~Kitchen On The Common - Belmont, Ma
no label for cuisine
$0 corkage, byo stems or they provide stemless glasses

Note: closed like a month and a half ago. Should be removed from the front page.

Farmerā€™s Market Kitchen, mentioned below, now has an official Watertown BYOB license!

Iā€™ve been a couple of times for takeout sandwiches and enjoyed their falafel wrap and Cuban. Itā€™s been a lunch takeout and catering spot so far, but theyā€™ve apparently been wanting to do sit down dinners (currently closes at 3 or 3:30).

Will have to talk to them about whether they can do a private BYOB dinner.

BOSTON BYOB REGULATIONS: Approved

The law reads like there will be a lot of little restaurants in Rozzie and Dorchester that will have BYO by summer time. I hope it sparks some higher end type places to open and become great landing spots.

I gather there is a 30 seat limit, and mandatory waiter service, which given the areas involved pretty much means we are talking about tiny ethnic restaurants being the only beneficiaries. I donā€™t know any fine dining, 30-seat restaurants in those areas (analogous to the brilliant Laurel in Philly). Very annoying how restrictive this is. Get ready for drinking rieslings at Vietnamese restaurants.

I wish some of these decision makers would visit Philly and see how BYOB should really work. Baby steps I guess.