Green Egg Newbie - Lump Charcoal Suggestions?

Same. I have just under 300 lbs. of it at my house right now. Road shows have become less common around here, so I take nearly everything I can get when I can.

I’ve used the BGE branded bags (because my local hardware store always has it), and the Kamodo Joe (which I got on special at Costco, but it’s rare to see that). Both are great. My only advice is don’t bother worrying about price. For the amount of effort and time you’re putting in, a couple of bucks one way or the other for each cook just isn’t important. I would never use briquettes. And I never worry about the distribution, I just dump it in and let things settle randomly. Never had a problem, either getting high temp for grilling, or doing a long low temp cook overnight. Just make sure that things are packed together reasonably snug, without any big air spaces.

I’ve tried them all. Absolute best by far is Fogo Premium Lump Charcoal Burns best, most consistent, very little ash. Just opened a bag and one chunk weighed 2 lbs 2 oz. There were several others almost as large.

I like kj and rockwood the most.

I am big fan of Lazzari mesquite charcoal (review), as I find oak imparts insufficient flavor. My favorite steakhouse, Metropolitan Grill (Seattle), uses mesquite charcoal, as do some nearby steakhouses.

B & B lump is my favorite. Available at Ace Hardware in some stores, or order online with free delivery to your local store.

Obviously, lots of options and personal preference. I also think different foods are best with different wood charcoals.

The one thing I do like about rockwood is that the pieces aren’t quite as big as KJ. It takes longer to assemble, but I did a ~2 hour cook today with ~4-5 lb of charcoal between picahna and pineapple at 500-600F and still had a bit of fuel with plenty of temps at the end. It seems like I go through kj charcoal much faster. Flavor is of course very personal but it’s clearly charcoal without being overly smoky.

They took down a cherry tree and a hickory tree behind my house. I will split them and use that wood, cheaper and I do not have to worry about running out.

If you live near a Harris Teeter grocery store I would recommend their lump charcoal. Priced well and easily found. Kamado Joe is also really good. I’m moving away from my BGEs and I am getting ready to get a custom Argentine grill.

This is probably my favorite right now.

Another vote for Fogo - yellow or black bag (smaller pieces)

I love how people revive 4yr old threads and nobody notices.