Hand made pasta

I would submit that extruded pastas (for me) are better dried and from a premium producer like Latini are something that I could not produce at home.

Mark, that point well taken. I have an extruder but it seems a bit tricky to get good use of. I still need to experiment.

I would agree with this 100% and add that, IMNSFHO, there are dishes that beg for fresh pasta and those that beg for dried. I realize I’m dealing with a couple of real Italians here whereas I simply play one on television, but that’s my take.

Started doing my own pasta since we renovated our kitchen and got a nice marble slab for a workspace. Is there any correlation between the type of pasta form you are making and the ratio of AP flour and semolina? I have very good quality versions of both flours (local pasta house sells their flour bulk flirtysmile ) so I know it isn’t the quality of ingredients, but I seem to have varying results when it comes to shapes and stuffed pastas, especially when it comes to getting the tortellini to stay sealed.

I’m doing some pasta tonight. Only my third time. The first time was more like ‘practice’ for using the pasta machine, and the second time I was happier with the results. Both times I followed the 9/6 measure using 50/50 AP/semolina flour with an hour rest. We’re out of AP, so I’m using unbleached whole wheat flour tonight instead. I’ll be interested to see the difference. I haven’t done any pics because I’m only doing boring spaghetti/linguine and I’m still getting used to rolling the stuff out. It all tastes great though!

had tough go w whole wheat. doesnt hold moisture as well.