Harris Poll Best Burger Brand

One very good one that missed the list is The. Habit Burger. I happen to know the CEO but I’d recommend it anyway. Around 190 locations and growing rapidly. It took first place in a similar survey last year so it’s absence is curious, especially given Shake Shack being so much smaller (power of media?)

The fact that Wendy’s made the top-4 is laughable, though it’s undeniably better than Sonic and McDonald’s. McDonald’s burgers are a joke. They’re terrible, and nowhere near anything else on that list, other than Sonic. Sonic’s burgers taste like they’re made of ground beef mixed with rat feces and the tears of high school nitwits tasked with over-burning the pathetically thin and flavorless patties before walking it out to your car.

Five Guys, In-N-Out (overrated but good), and Smashburger at least put forth real effort. Whataburger does too.

There are still quite a few Fuddruckers around. There is one by Grapevine Mills in NW metroplex that gets steady action. Few in Austin as well. You can actually get a pretty damn good burger at Fuddruckers. And they sometimes have Ostrich, Bison, etc.

Twisted Root is the jams in Texas. Excellent burger chain. Great, juicy burgers and killer shakes.

I’ll leave knowledge of eating rat feces to you.

XEL2hWKxfHY

Fatburger, baby!

Do you have any decent independent burger places you go to. I miss living in Brighton (UK) and the wonderfully named ‘Grubbs’ burgers which had very good quality beef, with a wonderful array of toppings to choose. Sizes were 1/4 pounder, half pounder or the full pounder . Concensus locally seemed to be that local rival and even more wonderfully named ‘The wonkey donkey’ was even better, but it wasn’t in a convenient location for us. There was also a decent place in easy walking distance, which in another place might have been really talked up, but at that place & time was just an ‘also ran’.

Just run a quick web-search and both Grubbs and Wonkey Donkey are still going. Sadly no local places to excite here.

For some crazy reason I get diarrhea every time I eat at habit. I still go cause I enjoy their burgers and can use the occasional cleanse.

Their fries are awful.

1. Five Guys
  2. Culver’s
  3. Smashburger
  4. Wendy’s
  5. Sonic
  6. Shake Shack (never had)
  7. Whataburger (Never had)
  8. Steak and Shake
  9. McDonald’s
  10. In n out burger

Where’s Fuddrucker’s?

The homemade pickles at twisted root are worth the trip, good place.

Except for Mark, this is a good list of who not to lunch with. neener

1. Five Guys & In-N-Out.
  2. Culver’s
  3. Steak 'n Shake
  4. Wendy’s
  5. Sonic
  6. McDonalds

Haven’t had any of the others but I’d be willing to bet they are all ahead of McDonald’s.

JD

I stopped reading at number 4. That instantly confirmed it is a bullshit list.

Keep in mind, folks, that knowing how to order your In 'N Out burger is key.

Double-Double w/ cheese, ketchup & mustard instead of sauce, 7-up.

done and done.

I have 2 good local places and one that gets good reviews but I haven’t tried yet. Liberty Prime is a steak place with a great dry aged porterhouse but the burgers are also very good. The fries are meh, I’ll usually take the option of a salad.

Then there’s Sprig - a surprisingly good place in the new lunchtime food court at Harborside Financial Plaza that opened near my office. They have good burgers and top notch fries. Certainly better fries than anyone on the list above.

I eat a boatload of burgers.
I never understand why a Shake Shack is on this sort of list. The cost should disqualify it to a different list. Also, while the fries a factor in the meal, they complicate the discussion.

One thing I notice about In’N’Out is that people from outside of Cali/West Coast often diss them. Maybe there is some sort of high expectation that leads to anticipation and then disappointment on a rare visit. IIRC the double-double is about $3.75. It even costs a decent percentage less than a 5 Guys comparable cheeseburger. That percentage difference holds or even increaese if one does fries and a soda too. So we locals just look at it as an easy spot to stop in for a cheap darned good burger. But not at the quality of a typical $8+ burger found at a different type place.

Price aside, I like In-N-Out better than 5 Guys. The actual meat quality is similar. I like cheese, lettuce, tomato, and grilled onions. There’s a higher cheese quotient on double-double. In-N-Out almost always has crisp lettuce and decent tomato. The bun doesn’t get as mushy as it does at 5 Guys or some others.

Wendy’s makes the list probably because it is better than McD or Burger King, yet still has a ton of outlets and ads. One part of the study is familiarity. I do think that the meat at Wendy’s is ok and I like the crust they get. Toppings are ok and the bun is decent. Steak and Shake is strong in both meat quality and char. Burger King gets a few points on the flame broil but their condiment application is a disaster.

There really aren’t many In-N-Outs. There can’t be but a few east of the Rockies and I’d guess that Five Guys now has more outlets and coverage. So maybe their top spot got a boost by familiarity. Plus hoards of people have West Coast envy so vote against things identified with us :slight_smile:

Gee, Jay…the fries at Five Guys are the main reason I go there…they are “zee best” IMO. Not even sure anything (Burger place I’ve been to comes close…

Shake shack is not only expensive, but they use frozen fries…a no no for me…esp. the crinkle cut which remind me of what every luncheonette and bowling alley served when I was a kid.

Five guys is basically 2x the price of In-n-out. It’s definitely not 2x better (if at all). I think once the burger is $5+ you should be in a separate category.

I generally find that local places far outclass the franchises.

My first vote would be: “Local joint.”

Regional chain called Back Yard Burgers that definitely tops Wendy’s. Sonic is horrible…no flavor.

My favorite!!

I like Five Guys burgers, don’t like their fries.
I like In-n-Out burgers quite a bit.
I need to try Smashburger.