Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

Last year Veleta offered their 2005 Cab – for I think around $20. This was, and still is, an excellent wine. Still drinking incredibly well. A great value for getting something with age on it that is ready to drink!

And of course their sardines, tuna, olive oil, vinegar etc are also excellent…

Thanks Drew!

I’m going to try to grab a few more BD wines over the next week or two and I’ll throw up notes when I have the chance. I hope more people will chime in as well.

I have had Wilde Farms Pinot (think 2013) and Siduri Ewald (think 2013) Pinot and 2010 and 2011 EMH Cab in the past few months. All really good and would buy these wines/winemakers products again .

IMG_2576.JPG

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed rosés from Wilde Farm, Random, and Cowan. I haven’t tried Briceland’s yet but have a couple from last year.

Ok thanks.

Anyone pick up some good syrah? Maybe on the moderate alcohol side? Or at least very well integrated ?

I’m already in for Briceland.

I typically like Copain, Arnot, Wind Gap etc.

Well then, tonight’s choice of 2011 Cabot Vineyards Syrah Humboldt County fits the bill. It keeps changing with air, at times with mostly pure blackberry fruit, at others showing a more meaty and savory side with black pepper, olive, and evergreen. It could use more acidity, but slightly gritty tannin provides good structure that complements the rusticity of the wine. While it started out simple, it just keeps gaining complexity. Very nice and 13.2%.

Edited to add, with more air the acid comes out, giving it a leaner edge.

I’d also check out Lagier Meredith, Wilde Farm (made by Pax Mahle in a beautiful restrained style), and Cowan.

If Larry includes some of his Mourvedre Rose, buy … but leave some for me! So completely tasty and happy … I can’t wait for more.

Opened a 2009 Cabot Klamath Cuvee last night. Lots of cherry and blackberry, smoked peppercorns, tarragon and cedar. Hopefully John offers some library wines again this year!

Last night we enjoyed a 2014 Cowan Cellars Fiano

Two notes for Chester’s Anvil

2013 Chester’s Anvil Malbec (Mt Veeder) - Sweet nose, dark red fruits (black cherry on open, plum after breathing a while), a lot going on in this wine. Finish is lengthy, definitely a good wine to enjoy with grilled, fatty meat with assertive flavor. (also paired with peppered bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado sandwich) Well integrated tannins and a lot of life left. Food friendly.

2013 Chester’s Anvil Zinfandel Mead Ranch (Atlas Peak) - Enjoyed with Thanksgiving turkey (grilled on rotisserie, seasoned with orange, clove and sage turkey w/ lump charcoal & pecan wood chunks). Fruit, spice, balance, smooth. A perfect pairing. Thankful that I have another bottle for a few years from now as this will drink well for a while.

Thanks for the kind words . . .

Not bottling my 2016 Mourvedre Rose, which is featured in my avatar, until the middle of March, and therefore the only way to make that happen would be a ‘futures’ package - but I’m game if folks are interested! [snort.gif] [cheers.gif] champagne.gif

I would consider it-cant speak for others

The wonders of CellarTracker - did a search for all wines purchased on Jan. 27 (of any year) - these are notes from most recent purchases. Not very in-depth, but contributing for whatever value it has . . .

• 2012 Lichen Estate Blanc de Gris - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (4/16/2016)
    Fine mousse, austere and mineral, little citrus, touch of bitterness on finish (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2012 Lichen Estate Blanc de Noir - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (1/5/2017)
    Light yellow, a touch cloudy, fine bubbles. Very crisp and lemony, bordering on astringent. Hints of green apple and touch of yeast on finish. (89 pts.)

• 2013 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Cuvée Home Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (11/20/2016)
    Very closed for an hour, while drinking, started to open after that. Tightly wound, hints of pine and leather, limited fruit that started to show after time in glass.

Next time decant for an hour! (89 pts.)

Ask and you shall receive - my first ‘futures’ offer will part of the mix in a few weeks. Cheers!

Just cracked open a 2009 Bodega Dominio Buenavista / Veleta Cabernet Sauvignon. Really excellent, just like the other wines I have had from this winery. Lots of wonderful red fruits, encased in lovely flavors of leather and cigar box. There is a slight amount of heat, but nothing off putting – and still some tannins in the finish that don’t dominate, but provide structure and promise many more years. I have this as a $15 purchase, which seems low to me. If it is accurate, a really great buy. I would put this at least at a 90, and probably at 92 or 93 if I more seriously examined it! Off to bathe a baby…

flirtysmile

Had a bottle of the 2010 Cabot Pinot Noir which was stunning. Only one left! Need to re stock.

Had a 2014 Franny Beck last night. Very elegant, especially for a 2014. A steal at last years Berserker Day price. I’ll buy more.

Robert